Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anon Anon is offline

Default Word Numbering (word 2003) AAARRRGGGHHH

I have a document from a coworker-
its a disaster in terms of numbering.

Word 2003 is hard enough to get the

1.0,
1.1,
1.2.
1.2.1
1.2.2
1.3
2.0
2.1 etc

to work decently- it has a mind of its own- lets say you put a bullet list
under 6.1, when I return to the text- I start getting 1.1, etc.

Is there a way to get numbering to behave. I can never remember a time where
numbering has EVER bahaved for me. Its always been a situation where the
more people editing a document, the worse it seems to get in terms of trying
to get a document to stay well-behaved when it comes to auto numbering etc.

Thanks
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

In my experience, the feature you are describing was created for people who
have too much happiness in their lives.

Aside from lawyers - some of whom deserve to be miserable - I can't think of
anyone else who needs that kind of paragragh numbering, and lawyers use
Wordperfect.

Daddy

"Anon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See "How to create heading and outline numbering in a document in Microsoft
Word" on fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website at:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Anon" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anon Anon is offline

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.
Yesterday I found that the guy who gave me the document to proof and to make
suggestions- had hidden the text inside and invisible table.... when I made
the codes visible- it took me a while to figure out. Once I copied and
pasted the text outside the table and deleted the table- the formatting
started behaving like it should, except occasionally it would revert and
start messing up when I would try to put a bullet list under a particular
topic instead of 1.2.1.1.1 ( I don't like to get beyond 3 digits in my
documents- a sign that the doc is too complicated LOL)... and for a lab test
method, you don't need an indent number for a list of supplies or equipment
needed for the test.

Often a simple undo command would return the formatting to the proper
logic....thus indicating that these routines are still rather buggy...if
they can do something unpredictable during a shifted return and then an undo
restores things they way they should be

Thanks again

See "How to create heading and outline numbering in a document in
Microsoft Word" on fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website at:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on
a paid professional basis.