Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default Change/revision bars in the margin

In days of yore, when GML was still the style to create documents in
(yes, now I'm betraying my age!), one could indicate revisions to a
large document by adding a markup character in the margin.

For instance, a horizontal bar - |

It was a manual and rather tedious process, but it meant that a
document could be quickly reviewed for changes.

Is there a similar technique for a Word (2007, if it matters) document
that does not include color or other font changes?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can set Track Changes to use what it calls "Changed lines" only. Just
set the formatting for insertions to "None" and deletions to "Hidden." Be
aware, though, that this display will be effective only on your screen and
your printout; another user viewing the document will see it with his own
Track Changes settings. And if you accept the changes, the change bars will
be lost.

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message
In days of yore, when GML was still the style to create documents in
(yes, now I'm betraying my age!), one could indicate revisions to a
large document by adding a markup character in the margin.

For instance, a horizontal bar - |

It was a manual and rather tedious process, but it meant that a
document could be quickly reviewed for changes.

Is there a similar technique for a Word (2007, if it matters) document
that does not include color or other font changes?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message

In days of yore, when GML was still the style to create documents in
(yes, now I'm betraying my age!), one could indicate revisions to a
large document by adding a markup character in the margin.

For instance, a horizontal bar - |

It was a manual and rather tedious process, but it meant that a
document could be quickly reviewed for changes.

Is there a similar technique for a Word (2007, if it matters) document
that does not include color or other font changes?

Thanks. Is that the best I can get? Is there no way to turn some
formatting on/off to put a revision character in the margins? What do
people use nowadays in place of this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This *is* what people use. And it does put a revision bar in the margin. You
can view the document with or without the markup.

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message

In days of yore, when GML was still the style to create documents in
(yes, now I'm betraying my age!), one could indicate revisions to a
large document by adding a markup character in the margin.

For instance, a horizontal bar - |

It was a manual and rather tedious process, but it meant that a
document could be quickly reviewed for changes.

Is there a similar technique for a Word (2007, if it matters) document
that does not include color or other font changes?

Thanks. Is that the best I can get? Is there no way to turn some
formatting on/off to put a revision character in the margins? What do
people use nowadays in place of this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

"MikeB" wrote in message

In days of yore, when GML was still the style to create documents in
(yes, now I'm betraying my age!), one could indicate revisions to a
large document by adding a markup character in the margin.

For instance, a horizontal bar - |

It was a manual and rather tedious process, but it meant that a
document could be quickly reviewed for changes.

Is there a similar technique for a Word (2007, if it matters) document
that does not include color or other font changes?

Thanks. Is that the best I can get? Is there no way to turn some
formatting on/off to put a revision character in the margins? What do
people use nowadays in place of this?

Right, thanks. I must have misunderstood you.