Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter K Peter K is offline

Default Remove header & footer from Envelope

In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header & footer
appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type 'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You should not put a header and/or footer in the normal.dot template.
Rather, create another template containing those features and use that
template for the documents that you create for which you want the features.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing letters &
ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header & footer
appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail Merge
Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type 'Envelopes'.
Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter K Peter K is offline

Thxs for your reply.

For 99.99% of all my work I do need the header. It puts path & file name in
the top left in small font & today's date in the top right. No problem with
envellopes, Word is smart enough to realize that envelopeds don't get headers
& footers.

It's only when I use that Step by Step Mail Wizard, that even though I
specify 'Envelopes' inists on adding the header.

After I wrote my original question, I edited normal.dotm & deleted the
header & footer from it. (To be put right back in, the moment I was done
with this once a year thing.)Now The file name & date no longer appear, but,
an about 5/8 in. top margin is still there, putting the return address way
too low.

I could print the envelopes individually, bypassing the wizard, & all would
be fine. But, that defeats the purpose.

How can I stop the wizard from imposing that top margin or header?

Again, any help would be appreciated.

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing letters &
ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header & footer
appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail Merge
Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type 'Envelopes'.
Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can delete the header content but once you have created a header the
paragraph mark remains taking up space. This is one of the disadvantages of
having a header in the normal template. It would be better to insert the
header using a macro and leave the header empty (for which purpose you will
have to rename the normal template). Or simply do as Doug suggested and
create a separate template with a header to use for your documents and leave
the normal template alone.

An alternative is to use a template to create the merge envelope document.
You could start from the envelope merge template that you can download from
my web site or create your own. Treat the document as a letter merge and add
the fields to the Envelope Address frame.

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing
letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header &
footer appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail
Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type
'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Further to my last. If you save your header text as an autotext entry called
tHeader, the following macro will insert the header when required

Sub AddHeader()
Dim oSection As Section
Dim oHeader As HeaderFooter
Dim oRng As Range
On Error GoTo ErrorHandler
If Len(ActiveDocument.Path) = 0 Then
ActiveDocument.Save
End If
For Each oSection In ActiveDocument.Sections
For Each oHeader In oSection.Headers
If oHeader.Exists Then
Set oRng = oHeader.Range
With oRng
.Fields.Add oRng, wdFieldAutoText, "tHeader", False
.Fields.Update
End With
End If
Next oHeader
Next oSection
Exit Sub
ErrorHandler:
If Err.Number = 4198 Then
MsgBox "Document must be saved before adding header", _
vbCritical, "Not Saved"
End If
End Sub

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing
letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header &
footer appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail
Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type
'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter K Peter K is offline

Thxs for your replies. Having little time before going on a trip, I'll have
to do the envelopes 'manually', i.e. w/o the wizard. Once back I'll work
through your advice & set up my system properly for next year.

"Peter K" wrote in message
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing
letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header &
footer appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail
Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type
'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Lunde Peter Lunde is offline

Default Delete Microsoft Word Header

You CAN delete the Microsoft Word header as follows:
1. Open the document or template in OpenOffice Writer.
2. Press [Format] [Header] and uncheck [Header On].
3. Save the document or template as a Word document. For templates, uncheck [Automatic file name extension].

Peter wrote:

Thxs for your replies.
04-Dec-08

Thxs for your replies. Having little time before going on a trip, I'll have
to do the envelopes 'manually', i.e. w/o the wizard. Once back I'll work
through your advice & set up my system properly for next year.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

On Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:03 PM
Peter wrote:

Remove header & footer from Envelope
In Word 2007, my normal.dot includes a header. When writing letters & ending
an Envelope to the document, everything works fine. The header & footer
appear on all text pages, but not on the envelope.

Trying to print envelopes for Xmas cards: Mailing Start Mail Merge Step
by Step Mail Merge Wizard, I specify under document Type 'Envelopes'. Going
ahead, all envelopes get a header & a footer, which makes no sense,
apparently based on my normal.dotx.

How can I delete these headers & footers?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter K

On Thursday, December 04, 2008 1:42 AM
Doug Robbins - Word MVP wrote:

You should not put a header and/or footer in the normal.dot template.
You should not put a header and/or footer in the normal.dot template.
Rather, create another template containing those features and use that
template for the documents that you create for which you want the features.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Peter K" wrote in message

On Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:34 AM
Peter wrote:

[...]

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

On Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:12 AM
Graham Mayor wrote:

You can delete the header content but once you have created a header the
You can delete the header content but once you have created a header the
paragraph mark remains taking up space. This is one of the disadvantages of
having a header in the normal template. It would be better to insert the
header using a macro and leave the header empty (for which purpose you will
have to rename the normal template). Or simply do as Doug suggested and
create a separate template with a header to use for your documents and leave
the normal template alone.

An alternative is to use a template to create the merge envelope document.
You could start from the envelope merge template that you can download from
my web site or create your own. Treat the document as a letter merge and add
the fields to the Envelope Address frame.

Peter K wrote:

On Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:17 AM
Graham Mayor wrote:

Further to my last.
[...]

Peter K wrote:

On Thursday, December 04, 2008 8:52 AM
Peter wrote:

Thxs for your replies.
Thxs for your replies. Having little time before going on a trip, I'll have
to do the envelopes 'manually', i.e. w/o the wizard. Once back I'll work
through your advice & set up my system properly for next year.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Caching Pages and Application Data with Database Dependencies
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...d-applica.aspx