Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
setting vertical space between lines[_2_] setting vertical space between lines[_2_] is offline

Default table of figures; text for each entry

Hello
I have word 2002.

Would there be any way to make the text of the entries appearing in a table
of figures(Insert menu-Reference-Index and tables) shorter than the actual
text appearing along the document for each figure?

For example, let's say I have a figure under which this message can be read:
"Figure 1: this figure represents the speed of the cat vs the speed of the
lion in the middle of the forest"

But let's say I do not want that this long message appears in the table of
figures. Nonetheless, it is appearing like that so far. Is there any way to
change a little bit the entry in the table of figures for this message in
order to make it shorter?
For example, the message in the table of figures would just be:
"speed: cat vs lion"

The thing is that I knew how to do this with word indexes because with the
XE label I can set the text I want for the corresponding index entry. But for
this case of tables of figures, I still do not know how to do that. ¿Is not
there a XE entry or something like that for the tables of figures?

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Press Enter to break the caption paragraphs at the appropriate location.
Then format the paragraph mark (¶) between the two "parts" of the caption as
hidden text, so that it will appear to be in the same paragraph. (If you are
creating the table of figure based on styles rather than on captions, you
will also have to apply a different style to the paragraph after the hidden
paragraph mark. By default, however, Word relies on the caption label when
creating tables of figures, so this extra step shouldn't be necessary.)
Update the table of figures.

To show/hide hidden text as well as other nonprinting marks, you can press
Ctrl+Shift+8 (or press the ¶ button on the Standard toolbar).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"setting vertical space between lines"
osoft.com wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
setting vertical space between lines[_2_] setting vertical space between lines[_2_] is offline

Thank you again for that good trick. That works but is not there any way to
make this shorter version of the text a bit more different than just cutting
at some point of this text?

I mean, for instances with indexes, I can place a sentence and an index
which refers to that particular sentence while keeping the index entry words
quite different to the sentence words pointed by the index entry. Is that
possible to do with tables of figures?

For example: indexed sentence:
Kids like playing videogames

Index entry:
Computer games loved by children

As you can see the indexed sentence and the index entry are completely
different. I can do that with indexes, but can I do it with tables of
figures? how?

Another question, do you know someway to give a format to the table of
figures or to an index in which I predefine the paragraph style instead of
having to change it every time after updating the changes right into the
table of figure or the index? For example, one thing that I would like to
predefine would be the space between lines do that word leave one line in
between whenever I update the corresponding table of figures or index.
Thans in advance

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

I believe what you want to do for the captions that appear in the Table of
Figures is not possible and the method that Stephan describes is one way to
reduce the amount of text that appears in the list (the other is using the
StyleSeparator).
You could do what you want in a roundabout way and that is to use Hidden
text and using a new style, then create a Table of Figures based on this new
style (under the Options button on Index and Tables) once setup it will
refresh as you go along. Possible?
To get the formatting of your Table of Figures staying how you like even
after a refresh is to edit the style called Table of Figures to what you want
(i.e. add space after will give you the spacing you describe). Table of
Figures style is the default style assigned to the Figures/Tables tables (?).
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can use TC fields to include any text you like in a table of figures.

To insert a TC field, you can use the Mark Table of Contents Entry dialog
box (Alt+Shift+O). It's the same dialog box that you use for a table of
contents--and, in fact, a table of figures is just a special type of TOC in
Word.

Alternatively, add the field directly by pressing Ctrl+F9 and then typing
the field code (be sure to display hidden text before trying this approach).

Note that TC fields are static, that is, if you reorganize document contents
so that caption numbering changes, you would have to edit the affected
field(s) before updating the table of figures. To work around this you could
nest a cross-references within a TC field.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP