Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cayce cayce is offline

Default prepare content before pasting into Excel

I have an 80-page Word document that has to be converted into a 2-column list
in Excel. All the heading styles, which use outline numbering, will need to
be column 1; content underneath each heading needs to go along side it in
column 2. Much of the content is multi-paragraph using a variety of paragraph
styles. In Excel, each paragraph needs to end up in its own cell.

How can I get column 1 to contain the heading in a cell and subsequent empty
cells under it that match the # of paragraphs in column 2?

Just pasting special in Excel places all content in 1 column. I am using
Word and Excel 2007. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

cayce was telling us:
cayce nous racontait que :

I have an 80-page Word document that has to be converted into a
2-column list in Excel. All the heading styles, which use outline
numbering, will need to be column 1; content underneath each heading
needs to go along side it in column 2. Much of the content is
multi-paragraph using a variety of paragraph styles. In Excel, each
paragraph needs to end up in its own cell.

How can I get column 1 to contain the heading in a cell and
subsequent empty cells under it that match the # of paragraphs in
column 2?

Just pasting special in Excel places all content in 1 column. I am
using Word and Excel 2007. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You could do the following:

Place the cursor at the beginning of the document.
In the Find/Replace dialogue:
1)
Find what: ^p
Replace with ^p^t
Replace All
2)
Click on the "More" button
Check "Use wildcards"
Find what: ^t(*[!^13])(^13)
and use the "Format" button to select the heading style you are using.
Replace with: \1
Replace All

Now, you may need to remove the garbage paragraphs at the end of the
document, and you will need to delete the ¶ at the end of the first heading
paragraph because the procedure above will not have treated it.

Now, select all the paragraphs and convert the text to a table using the Tab
delimiter.
This should give you a two-column table that will be easily inserted into
Excel.
It will be easier if all heading paragraphs are first set to the same
heading style...

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
cayce cayce is offline

Thank you Jean-Guy. As it turned out, I had to move quickly and so took a
longer, more tedious %^&**!! road yesterday. However, I expect this task
will arise again so I'll make use of your suggestion then. Thanks again for
taking the time to help me!

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

cayce was telling us:
cayce nous racontait que :