Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cocciastella cocciastella is offline

Default problem with trademark symbols word 2003 and 2007

Sorry for long post to explain the problem.

I've created a mail merge, text file datasource that pulls from a database.
In UI the user enters trademark character. In the datasource the trademark
char is displayed:

"Classic®","Oakridge PRO 30„˘","High Ridge with Sealant","High Style„˘ with
Sealant","Hip and Ridge with Sealant"

When the user tries to merge the datasource with this data, word displays
the Header Record Delimiter and asks for the Field delimiter (comma is the
field delimiter). It then displays the unmerged document with the merge
fields. The merge works perfectly for other datasources and works for the
Registered Trade Mark and the Copyright symbols. It seems that it is failing
on the Trademark. I have also had it ask for the Language and it was
assuming it is Japanese. I found a post and changed the default language to
English US. The last couple of times I tried to create the merge for this
datasource it did not ask for the language.

If I initiate the merge from the failed word doc by selecting Letters and
Mailings etc, etc, and merging to a new doc it works. Of course this is not a
good solution.

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Using your sample data saved as a plain text file, I was able to merge into
a sample document and reproduce the trademark character T (ANSI 0153). The
question to be asked therefore is how are you creating the data source? When
opened in Word what does the data source show for T? What font are you using
in the merge document? Some fonts may not have the T character.

cocciastella wrote:
Sorry for long post to explain the problem.

I've created a mail merge, text file datasource that pulls from a
database. In UI the user enters trademark character. In the
datasource the trademark char is displayed:

"Classic®","Oakridge PRO 30T","High Ridge with Sealant","High StyleT
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
cocciastella cocciastella is offline

Graham,

Thank you for replying! At this point it has gotten worse. For some reason
word stopped loading of the characters copyright and registered trademark, In
one case it does print the trademark but mostly it prints a square box for
copyright and registered trademark and a period for trademark. I set the
language to English. I am having problems with both 2003 and 2007. The
symbols are being displayed correctly in the datasource otherwise I would
think it is the way they are entered into the User Interface screens. I
create the datasource with the Progress language as a text (.txt) file.

The datasource is a text file and looks like

"Report1","Subject1",.... (the merge fields)...."BLANK"
"xxxxx","xxxxx® xxxxx",... (the data)...."BLANK"

When I create the merge, select the text file as the recipient, File
Conversion with the Other Encoding selects the language of Japanese
(Shift-JIS). Why is word seeing these three symbols as indicating Japanese?
I select Windows Default. The font is Tahoma. If I execute the merge by hand
I get the symbols in the document. But when I run it from a program, create
datasource and call merge, I get either Square boxes or sometimes a squiggly
backwards E or a large dot.

When I was trying to get the trademark symbol to show I played around with
the Auto Correct function, and that is when I set the language to English.

I appreciate any help!

Lonnie

.