Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default Mail merging with an Excel mail document

I use Office 2003.
I have an Excel document which I manually "mail merge".
I have just forgotten to change one field; printed several copies;
altered them in manuscript and realised my mistake.
Is it possible to do something like include an Excel document in a Word
main document so that the Excel document can take data from input rows?
I don't particularly want to write a VBA macro to do what is needed.
I don't see how I can achieve the effects in Word that are achieved in
Excel - the Excel document is supplied to me.
I want to repeat my mistake even less.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It is not really clear what you are trying to achieve.

What exactly are you starting with and what do you want to end up with?

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"Walter Briscoe" wrote in message
I use Office 2003.
I have an Excel document which I manually "mail merge".
I have just forgotten to change one field; printed several copies;
altered them in manuscript and realised my mistake.
Is it possible to do something like include an Excel document in a Word
main document so that the Excel document can take data from input rows?
I don't particularly want to write a VBA macro to do what is needed.
I don't see how I can achieve the effects in Word that are achieved in
Excel - the Excel document is supplied to me.
I want to repeat my mistake even less.
--
Walter Briscoe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Thu, 12 Nov 2009
15:21:17 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, Doug Robbins - Word
MVP writes
It is not really clear what you are trying to achieve.

What exactly are you starting with and what do you want to end up with?

Thank you for your reply; I am sorry I was not clear.

I have been given a 1 sheet .xls which prints as one page. This is
logically equivalent to a main document for a normal mail merge. I do
not have any program or the skill to produce an equivalent .doc.

I have several sets of data which are not yet encoded into any file.
I currently produce several .xls files by manually merging that "data
source". That manual process is unreliable as it depends on me being
more accurate than I can achieve.

I was hoping to get ideas in this group for a comparitively-easy
mechanical process. It would be tedious and inefficient to write VBA to
merge a .xls data source into my .xls "main document".

I have tried to use Office 2003 terminology. I hope my need is now
clear.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Walter Briscoe wrote:
[...]

Well I guess in broad terms, I understand what it is that you want to
do, but without knowing more about the 1 sheet that you are being given
and also about where you want the data merged into it and just actually
where that additional data resides at the moment, I cannot really tell
if it can be done in a simple fashion.

You maybe able to select and copy the sheet that you are being given and
then paste it into a Word document where it would appear as a table, and
then you could perhaps set that document to a letter type mail merge
main document and attach the source of the other data as the data sheet
and insert mergefields into that main document and then execute that
merge to a new document and then copy and paste each section of that
document back into Excel if in fact the final out is required as an
Excel worksheet.

On the other hand, I am sure that it would be possible to write some
Excel VBA code to do the whole thing with Excel alone. However, it is
probably not something that can be done with any generic code and
almost certainly requires a bespoke solution.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my
services on a paid professional basis.