Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sw sw is offline

Default Word 2007 Mail Merge Hanging and Crashing

Hi,
Wondering if there is any limitation in regards to Word 2007 Mail Merge,
such as number of fields (255?), number of records, mergefield text length,
mergefieldcode lenght? I am running Word 2007 Directory Mail Merge, data
source is coming from Microsoft Dynamic CRM 4, there is one field called
(Spouse_Partner_Name_Preferred) and within the mergefield code, I added text
in front "Spouse:". When I print or edit individual document, it hange and
become non responsive. If I cut the text in front to be "Spo:", then it runs
smoothly. Any idea or work-arounds?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The particular problem you mention sounds familiar but I don't have the
details to hand. Presumably you're using a \b switch? If not, maybe you
could tell us what your field looks like.

An alternative is to use { IF } fields, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Spouse_Partner_Name_Preferred }" = ""
""
"
Spouse: { MERGEFIELD Spouse_Partner_Name_Preferred }" }then the text
that comes on the next line

where each pair of {} are the "special field code braces" that you can
insert using ctrl-F9.

As for other limitations,
a. the limit on the number of fields is essentially to do with the
type of data source and the method Word uses to retrieve data from it.
e.g. you can't retrieve more than 255 columns from Excel or Access. When
word reads text via the OLE DB method, it is limited to 255 columns. But
you should be able to use many more columns if the data source is SQL
Server, via OLE DB. I don't know exactly how CRM provides data to Mail
Merges.
b. some data sources/retrieval methods will truncate data in some
circumstances, but that should not really affect the thing you are
trying to do.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk