Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martin, Oldham Martin, Oldham is offline

Default different formats in first record

Hi,
I've successfully merged data from excel to make a directory. My problem is
that when I add some text (prior to merging), for example "Tel:" before my
phone number field, then when I merge to document it appears in bold in the
first record, but then not bold in the others. If I turn off the bold
formatting prior to merge document then it appears not bold in the first
record, but then bold in the others.

Help!

I'm using word 2003 btw.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It sounds like the end of paragraph marker ¶ might be formatted as bold.

Try using Ctrl+A to select everything in the mail merge main document and
make sure that the embolding of text is turned off.

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.
"Martin, Oldham" Martin, wrote in message
Hi,
I've successfully merged data from excel to make a directory. My problem
is
that when I add some text (prior to merging), for example "Tel:" before my
phone number field, then when I merge to document it appears in bold in
the
first record, but then not bold in the others. If I turn off the bold
formatting prior to merge document then it appears not bold in the first
record, but then bold in the others.

Help!

I'm using word 2003 btw.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martin, Oldham[_2_] Martin, Oldham[_2_] is offline

Thanks for that...it produced interesting effects!

Now the contextual text is non-bold throughout (good), but instead the merge
fields are bold: on all records in the "view merged data" view, but only on
the first record when I merge to new document.

All further suggestions still welcome

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martin, Oldham[_2_] Martin, Oldham[_2_] is offline

Hmmm, maybe I should add that (as you might expect with a directory) I have
put the merged records into a table: so each record produces one row of the
table. Maybe it's unstable tables that are contributing to the problem?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use Alt-F9 to look at the field codes.

If you have \*Mergeformat switches in your fields, get rid of them,

Then apply the formatting you want to both the field code and the
result, then try again. And/or use a \*Charformat switch (you still have
to get rid of the \*Mergeformat switch) and format the M of MERGEFIELD
the way you want (and possibly the space before the M as well)

Doug knows this approach so I guess he may already have found that it
does not work in this case.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martin, Oldham[_2_] Martin, Oldham[_2_] is offline

Thank you both for your advice, I've solved the problem by starting again.
Think I've learned a lot more about word along the way,

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

MDI and XPS formats: How to re-use them WM Lundin Microsoft Word Help 1 August 11th 09 07:32 PM
Mailmerge: First Record in stead of Next Record Guus Mailmerge 6 February 6th 07 03:00 PM
TOC formats Epinn Microsoft Word Help 5 September 17th 06 05:31 PM
Record 21 was an empty record Ima Mailmerge 0 September 15th 05 06:16 PM
Mailmerging graphics only works on first record - how can I get Word to print a new graphic for each record? Graham Mayor Mailmerge 3 May 13th 05 08:00 PM