Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
daroga daroga is offline

Default Mail merge records in Preview but not in Final Merge (2007)

Hi everyone,

I'm pulling my hair out here and wondered if someone might be able to help.
I'm putting together a little directory for our organization, using data from
an Excel spreadsheet to do a mail merge. There's a few conditional
statements in it to detemrine if a spouse name should be printed, or their
email, etc. which is all working just fine.

Except, when I merge the document, a lot of records are missing. Like close
to 1/2. The kicker is that they appear when the "preview results" under the
mailing tab is on, but not in a merged-to-edit document.

I tried redoing the merge in a different document with just a simple address
block wondering if some of the conditionals were setup wrong and throwing it
off, but the same thing happens with just a plain-jane merge.

The only thing determining whether they should be printed or not is an X in
a "directory" column in the spreadsheet, no fancy rules in that regard.

tl;dr Records appear in a preview but not in the final document.

Thanks for the help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
daroga daroga is offline

Here's another bit of information that may help or just muddy the waters.

It seems to be skipping (almost, but not always) every other record. And if
I uncheck from the list one of the people that should be there and then
isn't, from there on in the directory the OTHER HALF of the list starts
showing up, but not the records that were merging properly before.

I have no idea what's going on or why. It seems like these records are
getting hidden somewhere...?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Perhaps best to start again from the beginning.

e.g. What if you
a. create a directory merge
b. insert a single field - preferably one with a different value in
each row of your data source and a paragraph mark
c. merge to a new document

Do you see all the records in the output?

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

On 28/12/2009 15:09, daroga wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are using a Directory type mail merge main document, you do not need
a Next Record field. It sounds like you might have one in the main
document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"daroga" wrote in message
news
Here's another bit of information that may help or just muddy the waters.

It seems to be skipping (almost, but not always) every other record. And
if
I uncheck from the list one of the people that should be there and then
isn't, from there on in the directory the OTHER HALF of the list starts
showing up, but not the records that were merging properly before.

I have no idea what's going on or why. It seems like these records are
getting hidden somewhere...?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
daroga daroga is offline

I did just that and now it works. I'm so confused, though. I even just
copied my code from the non-working one to the new one and it works just fine.

It was skipping every even record in the filtered list. Any idea what might
have caused that in case I run into it again in the future?

.