Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Battarbee Laura Battarbee is offline

Default After mail merge Word document crashes

Some colleagues of mine have word crash after creating some labels through
mail merge.

Using the same excel source file for the data some people can edit the
document fine after the merge, but for others it crashes.

A difference we have noticed is that for the people it works for they DO NOT
have 'manual feed' as a tray option. For the people it doesn't work for they
have the manual feed option but regardless of what tray they select Word
still crashes.

Any ideas why there would be a difference of tray options? It seems to be
profile related, as we have had 2 different people log on to the same
machine and have seen the different results (while connected to the same
printers etc)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Labels are just tables with fixed cell dimensions,

What happens if the users who are having the problem click on the New
Document button on the Labels tab of the Envelopes and Labels dialog? Does
that cause Word to crash.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Laura Battarbee" wrote in
message news
Some colleagues of mine have word crash after creating some labels through
mail merge.

Using the same excel source file for the data some people can edit the
document fine after the merge, but for others it crashes.

A difference we have noticed is that for the people it works for they DO
NOT
have 'manual feed' as a tray option. For the people it doesn't work for
they
have the manual feed option but regardless of what tray they select Word
still crashes.

Any ideas why there would be a difference of tray options? It seems to be
profile related, as we have had 2 different people log on to the same
machine and have seen the different results (while connected to the same
printers etc)

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Battarbee Laura Battarbee is offline

The labels are created through mail merge, not the envelopes and labels tool,
apologies I should have been clearer, below are the steps

1. Go to Tools Letters and Mailings Mail Merge
2. Select [Labels]
3. Click [Label options], select below, and click OK
Printer Information: Laser and ink jet
Tray: Manual Feed
Label products: Hisago
Product Number: GB861 - Address

4. Click [Browse], select Excel source file, and select a sheet
5. Click [More Items] and insert each field
6. Separate each field into different line, click [Update all labels]
7. Preview
8. Click [Edit individual labels], select All and click OK
9. New mail merge document is created. Perform final edit (new line
adjustment) and save this document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

No, it was clear that you were using mail merge. But what I had intended
you to test was if the same problem occured if the users used the Envelopes
and Labels tool to create a new document from the Hisago GB861 template and
then tried to do something with that document.

At the point that you say the crash occurs, the mail merge process has
finished, though the table (labels are only tables with fixed cell
dimensions) in document created by executing the merge may be corrupt for
some reason.

How repeatable is the problem for the users who are experiencing the crash.
Is it every time, or intermittent?

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Laura Battarbee" wrote in
message ...
The labels are created through mail merge, not the envelopes and labels
tool,
apologies I should have been clearer, below are the steps

1. Go to Tools Letters and Mailings Mail Merge
2. Select [Labels]
3. Click [Label options], select below, and click OK
Printer Information: Laser and ink jet
Tray: Manual Feed
Label products: Hisago
Product Number: GB861 - Address

4. Click [Browse], select Excel source file, and select a sheet
5. Click [More Items] and insert each field
6. Separate each field into different line, click [Update all labels]
7. Preview
8. Click [Edit individual labels], select All and click OK
9. New mail merge document is created. Perform final edit (new line
adjustment) and save this document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Battarbee Laura Battarbee is offline

They were able to create blank labels using envelopes and labels without any
issue.

The crash after the mail merge is repeatable every time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Let's take it a step further. Having created a label document on screen -
use this document as a basis for a label merge. Attach your data source and
change the merge document type to labels and cancel the prompt to select the
label type (see http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm ). Add your merge
fields etc and complete the merge. Does it still crash? At what point
exactly?

"Laura Battarbee" wrote in
message ...
They were able to create blank labels using envelopes and labels without
any
issue.

The crash after the mail merge is repeatable every time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Battarbee Laura Battarbee is offline

User can create blank labels ok when using envelopes and labels tool.

The mail merge crash is reproducible every time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Laura Battarbee Laura Battarbee is offline

When they create blank labels they can edit them

Following the steps from Graham Mayor (created a label document first ).
Word freezes every time they started editing the new merged document.