Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bartonside Bartonside is offline

Default Mailmerge Setup

I have been trying, using a print out of the help pages, to set up some
mailing labels, using Word 2007 and an Excel worksheet. It was all going
swimmingly until I got to Step 3 and the Confirm Data Source which I
negotiated successfully. Then I got a warning window about possible damage to
my nice new computer and a BLANK worksheet. I was then asked to use the
Microsoft Office Excel dialogue box for Named or cell range. I have no idea
what the dialogue box is or how to find it. Can someone please put me out of
my misery?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

until I got to Step 3 and the Confirm Data Source which I
negotiated successfully

I was then asked to use the
Microsoft Office Excel dialogue box for Named or cell range

This suggests that
a. your data source is a .xls (old-style) workbook, rather than a
new-style .xlsx
b. you either have the Word Option "Confirm file format conversion on
open" checked (Word office button-Word Options-Advanced-General), or
for some reason, Word was unable to recognise that the file was an Excel
file. (Perhaps it is password-protected, for example).
c. You selected "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)" in the COnfirm
Data Source dialog box

If you know you need to use DDE, then that is actually what you need to
do. DDE can only access the first worksheet in the workbook, and in the
dialog box that asks for Named or cell range, you should see "Entire
spreadsheet" as the default option. Select that, and you get the data in
the first worksheet.

If you have no reason to believe that you need to use DDE, then instead
of the "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE (*.xls)" option, select the "OLE DB
Database Files" option. This is the default, i.e. what Word would try to
use if "Confirm file format conversion on open" was unchecked. Then you
would typically be presented with a dialog box titled "Select Table"
that lists all the worksheets and named ranges. If you see e.g.
"Sheet1$" and "Sheet1" in there, choose "Sheet1$" to get the whole
worksheet.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

Page setup Tim Page Layout 5 September 11th 08 08:26 PM
Help to setup mailmerge sort by category in word 2000 Hell-fire Mailmerge 6 September 13th 07 07:51 PM
Page Setup k f h Microsoft Word Help 5 May 19th 06 05:59 PM
Why is the doc. setup different to the page setup? les.drewitt Microsoft Word Help 1 April 30th 06 03:29 PM
How to setup ODBC Source for word 2003 mailMerge to Sql Storec Pro sqllady Mailmerge 0 September 15th 05 08:57 PM