Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default if not working in footer

Hi,

I'm using Word 2007.
I have a template set up with merge fields that are of variable length. I
have a different 1st page header/footer.
I need to print "Continued on page 2" on the 1st page when a mailmerge letter
goes to two pages. I have tried the following variations in the footer but
cannot get the message to print:

{ if {SECTIONPage} = "1" "" "Continued Next Page" }

{ if {SECTIONPage} = 1 "" "Continued Next Page" }

{ if {SECTIONPage} = "2" "Continued Next Page" "" }

{ if {PAGE} {SECTIONPage} "Continued Next Page" "" }

...and a few more variations.

My last attempt was to create a bookmark on the signature line of the letter
and put the following in the footer: { if {PAGEREF signature} = "2"
"Continued Next Page" "" }

Nothing has worked. Do if statements work in the footer? Can anyone help me
with how to conditionally print something in the footer?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

IF fields do work in the Footer/Header panes of documents, but they do not
survive the mailmerge process.

One way to get around it would be to use the "roll-your-own" alternative to
mail merge as detailed in the article €śCombining FormFields and Mail Merge€ť
on the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayors website:

http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com" u5661@uwe wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If your post reflects the exact field code, you are missing an €śs€ť in
€śSECTIONPage€ť €“ should be €śSECTIONPages€ť. Correct it and all 4 versions of
conditional your field construction should work (works here) €“ the bookmark
version also works here.

Also, make sure that _all_ your field brackets have been created using
Ctrl+F9.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com" wrote:

[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Doug,

(Your post did not appear until after I posted my previous post). I tested
in both Word 2003 and Word 2007 before posting, and I performed a mail merge
€“ and my conditional fields in both the header and footer survived (just
tested again to make sure I was not dreaming - it is after bedtime here€¦).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lene Fredborg[_2_] Lene Fredborg[_2_] is offline

....just to clarify: What I see in the resulting merge document is the
correct field results as ordinary text - not the fields.

--
Best regards
Lene Fredborg

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

IF fields do work in the Footer/Header panes of documents, but they do
not
survive the mailmerge process.

One way to get around it would be to use the "roll-your-own" alternative
mail merge as detailed in the article "Combining FormFields and Mail
Merge"
on the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website:

http://www.gmayor.com/Form_Fields_and_Mail_Merge.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services
on

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lene Fredborg[_2_] Lene Fredborg[_2_] is offline

Sorry.

My merge test was too simple. I tested all with 1 page and all with 2
pages - and that worked (empty footer or text in footer). I should have
tested with a mixture - and it does not work. The "Continued Next Page"
appears in every section even if it contains 1 page only.

Seems to be _too_ long past bedtime ;-)

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi mdullni1,

Try coding your footer field as:
{={SECTIONPAGES}-{PAGE} \# "'Continued Next Page';;"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message. You may also have to do a print preview (or printout) of the merged output document before the 'Continued

Cheers
macropod
[Microsoft MVP - Word]

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com mdullni1 via OfficeKB.com is offline

Bravo, macropod - your solution worked!

Thanks to all who responded.....and just so you know, dropping the 's' was a
typo on my part. I use the Quick Parts menu to insert fields so I know for
certain it has the correct syntax/spelling, etc.

macropod wrote:
Hi mdullni1,

Try coding your footer field as:
{={SECTIONPAGES}-{PAGE} \# "'Continued Next Page';;"}

Note: The field brace pairs (ie '{ }') for the above example are created via Ctrl-F9 - you can't simply type them or copy & paste
them from this message. You may also have to do a print preview (or printout) of the merged output document before the 'Continued

Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Thanks.