Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Disable Typesetting Quotes in a Template

Is there any way to disable typesetting quotes in a template rather
than globally?

I have some templates where I would like there to only be straight
quotes and others templates where I'd like typesetting quotes.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could use a macro to toggle between straight quotes and smart quotes,
though the macro cannot account for missing quotes when straight quotes are
converted to smart quotes and may thus produce incorrect results.

Sub ReplaceQuotes()
Dim vFindText As Variant
Dim vReplText As Variant
Dim sFormat As Boolean
Dim sQuotes As String
Dim i As Long
sQuotes = MsgBox("Click 'Yes' to convert smart quotes to straight quotes." &
vbCr & _
"Click 'No' to convert straight quotes to smart quotes.", _
vbYesNo, "Convert quotes")
sFormat = Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes
If sQuotes = vbYes Then
vFindText = Array(Chr(147), Chr(148), Chr(145), Chr(146))
vReplText = Array(Chr(34), Chr(34), Chr(39), Chr(39))
Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = False
Selection.HomeKey wdStory
With Selection.Find
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.MatchWholeWord = True
.MatchWildcards = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.Format = True
.MatchCase = True
For i = LBound(vFindText) To UBound(vFindText)
.Text = vFindText(i)
.Replacement.Text = vReplText(i)
.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Next i
End With
Else
Options.AutoFormatReplaceQuotes = True
Selection.Range.AutoFormat
End If
Options.AutoFormatAsYouTypeReplaceQuotes = sFormat
End Sub