Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Default Mail merge multiple times on one page?

Hi, I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. I have to
create small cards that are provided 4 to a "normal" page. Each card
has individual information on it and each card changes weekly (almost
like time cards, but not the same).

Is there a way that I can set up Word such that I can use Mail merge
to pull the information from a spreadsheet or Access database (or even
a table in another Word document) to merge into the standard text? It
would be absolutely too tedious to have to create all these cards on a
weekly basis.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

This is a "label" merge. If you're using Avery "post cards" or the
equivalent, look in the Envelopes and Labels | Label Options dialog list of
product numbers for Avery 8387 (landscape) or 5845 (portrait) or whatever
other stock number may be on the product you have bought. If you're using
Word 2007, there is a layout for 1/4 Letter (portrait or landscape) when you
select Microsoft as the vendor.

http://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message
Hi, I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. I have to
create small cards that are provided 4 to a "normal" page. Each card
has individual information on it and each card changes weekly (almost
like time cards, but not the same).

Is there a way that I can set up Word such that I can use Mail merge
to pull the information from a spreadsheet or Access database (or even
a table in another Word document) to merge into the standard text? It
would be absolutely too tedious to have to create all these cards on a
weekly basis.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Read the appropriate page for your version of Word:

http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 5 Feb 2010 05:28:36 -0800 (PST), MikeB
wrote:

Hi, I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. I have to
create small cards that are provided 4 to a "normal" page. Each card
has individual information on it and each card changes weekly (almost
like time cards, but not the same).

Is there a way that I can set up Word such that I can use Mail merge
to pull the information from a spreadsheet or Access database (or even
a table in another Word document) to merge into the standard text? It
would be absolutely too tedious to have to create all these cards on a
weekly basis.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MikeB[_2_] MikeB[_2_] is offline

Fairhope, Alabama USAhttp://word.mvps.org

"MikeB" wrote in message

Hi, I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. *I have to
create small cards that are provided 4 to a "normal" page. Each card
has individual information on it and each card changes weekly (almost
like time cards, but not the same).

Is there a way that I can set up Word such that I can use Mail merge
to pull the information from a spreadsheet or Access database (or even
a table in another Word document) to merge into the standard text? *It
would be absolutely too tedious to have to create all these cards on a
weekly basis.

Thanks!

Suzanne, thank you! As usual you have gotten me on the right track.
One teensy question though, I am not using standard card stock. Can I
modify the MS template?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Yes, create a template containing a table to match your custom cards
(essentially labels are just a table).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"MikeB" wrote in message

Hi, I have an interesting problem that I can't figure out. I have to
create small cards that are provided 4 to a "normal" page. Each card
has individual information on it and each card changes weekly (almost
like time cards, but not the same).

Is there a way that I can set up Word such that I can use Mail merge
to pull the information from a spreadsheet or Access database (or even
a table in another Word document) to merge into the standard text? It
would be absolutely too tedious to have to create all these cards on a
weekly basis.

Thanks!

Suzanne, thank you! As usual you have gotten me on the right track.
One teensy question though, I am not using standard card stock. Can I
modify the MS template?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think you'll find that if you're using the entire page divided in four,
the Avery/MS templates will work just fine. If you're using just part of the
page, then you'll need to create a 2x2 table and modify margins and such
accordingly. It's still helpful to start with one of the built-in label
definitions and customize it because Word's label definitions have some
magic properties that are not present in user-created templates (such as
suppressing messages about text outside the printable area).

http://word.mvps.org