Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Abradaxis Abradaxis is offline

Default Set "ALWAYS CREATE BACKUP" Option

In Excel, I keep setting the "always create backup" in the "save as" toolsoptions menu, but it keeps on getting erased. How can I automatically produce and keep backups in Word, and Excel on a times basis. Using Windows XP and MS Office Professional components if Office 2000, although I have Office 2007, but have not installed it as yet? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

If the file already exists and you then apply that setting, you have to resave the file for that setting to be applied.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

In Excel, I keep setting the "always create backup" in the "save as" toolsoptions menu, but it keeps on getting erased. How can I automatically produce and keep backups in Word, and Excel on a times basis. Using Windows XP and MS Office Professional components if Office 2000, although I have Office 2007, but have not installed it as yet? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Always save backup is a workbook-only setting, not a global setting.

In Excel you can create a new workbook template to use as the basis for any
NEW workbook.

Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish including the "always save
backup".

FileSave As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and select. Name
your workbook "BOOK"(no quotes). Excel will add the .XLT to save as
BOOK.XLT.

Store this workbook in the XLSTART folder usually located at........

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

This will be the default workbook for FileNew or the Toolbar button
FileNew or CTRL + n

WARNING................Do not use FileNew...Blank Workbook or you will get
the Excel default workbook.

NOTE: Existing workbooks are not affected by these settings.

I think in Word you would have to alter the Normal.dot document.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 12:52:45 -0500, "Abradaxis"
wrote:

In Excel, I keep setting the "always create backup" in the "save as" toolsoptions menu, but it keeps on getting erased. How can I automatically produce and keep backups in Word, and Excel on a times basis. Using Windows XP and MS Office Professional components if Office 2000, although I have Office 2007, but have not installed it as yet? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

A failure to maintain settings stored in the Word data key in the registry, such as this, is a common problem, especially in Word 2003, though it applies to other versions also. It is caused by a minor corruption in the data key. You can either rename the data key and it *should* go away, or you can force the issue with autoopen/autonew macros in the normal template when it *will* go away.

The command line to add to the macros is

Options.CreateBackup = True

I suspect it will be similar for Excel.