Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LA Lawyer LA Lawyer is offline

Default Creating Chapters for Book (Word 2007)

I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:

1. Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be included
in a table of contents.

2. I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.

3. All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.

How is this done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Use the Heading 1 style for your captions. Add "Page break before" to the
Heading 1 style (and modify the font and paragraph formatting as desired).
Instead of inserting a manual page break, apply the Heading 1 style to the
next paragraph; you'll get a new page and a heading that will automatically
appear in a TOC.

http://word.mvps.org

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:

1. Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be
included in a table of contents.

2. I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.

3. All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.

How is this done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LA Lawyer LA Lawyer is offline

Thank you. Now for the second newbie question:

How do I add "Page break before" in Word 2007 styles?

"LA Lawyer" wrote in message
I want to create a book using Word 2007 that mets the following criteria:

1. Each new hard page creates a caption, preformed and ready to be
included in a table of contents.

2. I want to have subchapters which I can insert wherever I want them.

3. All of this has to be preformatted for a table of contents.

How is this done?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Same way as in any other version: on the Line and Page Breaks tab of the
Paragraph dialog. The easiest way to modify the style is this:

1. Apply the Heading 1 style to a paragraph.

2. Right-click and choose Paragraph.

3. On the Line and Page Breaks tab, check the box for "Page break before"
and click OK.

4. In your document, with the insertion point in your Heading 1 paragraph,
display the Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S or click the dialog launcher in the
bottom right corner of the Styles group on the Home tab).

5. Heading 1 should be selected in the Styles pane. Hover over it till you
see a down arrow and click it.

6. On the menu, click "Update Heading 1 to match selection."

Assuming you do this in your template, your style will be modified for the
template and all new documents based on it.

http://word.mvps.org