mscertified

Default First heading appears twice in TOC !

My very first heading (style Heading 2) appears twice in my TOC. It defies
all attempts to fix it. I deleted ity completely, it disappeared from TOC,
reinserted it - it appears twice. Am I seeing things or is this really
happening?
Charles Kenyon

Any chance you have it directly marked for inclusion as well as marked for
inclusion as a heading style? How are you generating your TOC? Could you
type the field code here? (Alt-F9 to display) Which version of Word?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"mscertified" wrote in message
My very first heading (style Heading 2) appears twice in my TOC. It defies
all attempts to fix it. I deleted ity completely, it disappeared from TOC,
reinserted it - it appears twice. Am I seeing things or is this really
happening?

Not exactly. A manual page break acquires the style of the following
paragraph.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is there a manual page break before the first Heading 2? This will cause

the
heading to be repeated. Apply "Page break before" to the paragraph/style
instead.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"mscertified" wrote in message
My very first heading (style Heading 2) appears twice in my TOC. It

defies
all attempts to fix it. I deleted ity completely, it disappeared from

TOC,
reinserted it - it appears twice. Am I seeing things or is this really
happening?

Charles Kenyon

No, but it is a very good reason for using the "page break before"
formatting in your Heading 1 style.
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Is there a manual page break before the first Heading 2? This will cause
the
heading to be repeated. Apply "Page break before" to the paragraph/style
instead.

so
all may benefit.

"mscertified" wrote in message
My very first heading (style Heading 2) appears twice in my TOC. It
defies
all attempts to fix it. I deleted ity completely, it disappeared from
TOC,
reinserted it - it appears twice. Am I seeing things or is this really
happening?

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Charles

Charles Kenyon wrote:
No, but it is a very good reason for using the "page break before"
formatting in your Heading 1 style.

I agree with the "page break before", but still consider this behaviour
a bug (or a least a bad design decision, if it was a concious decision
at all :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Charles Kenyon

The thing you need to understand what is happening is that in Word
structure, the page break is not a type of paragraph mark but rather is
inside the following paragraph and a part of it. This isn't logical, but it
is how Word is built.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
Hi Charles

Charles Kenyon wrote:
No, but it is a very good reason for using the "page break before"
formatting in your Heading 1 style.

I agree with the "page break before", but still consider this behaviour a
bug (or a least a bad design decision, if it was a concious decision at
all :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Charles

Charles Kenyon wrote:
The thing you need to understand what is happening is that in Word
structure, the page break is not a type of paragraph mark but rather is
inside the following paragraph and a part of it.

I see that, and that's the main reason why we all advice users to avoid
those breaks (typically, in long documents before Headings). It's still
pretty counter-intuitive why the PageBreak shouldn't be a ParagraphBreak
automatically.

This isn't logical, but it is how Word is built.

Full ack.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Brian Brian is offline

This constantly drives me nuts. Why would I want to write a paragraph using
styles after it? This is really a problem when i edit a big document and
delete a section. For some retarded reason, Word thinks I want to keep the
format of the section I deleted, not the section above it that I want to keep.
--
~~ B.

Charles Kenyon wrote:
No, but it is a very good reason for using the "page break before"
formatting in your Heading 1 style.

I agree with the "page break before", but still consider this behaviour a
bug (or a least a bad design decision, if it was a concious decision at
all :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The issue you are describing is unrelated to the problem with page breaks
discussed earlier in this thread.

The reason why sections behave the way you have noticed is that a section
break stores the formatting of the *preceding* section. When the break is
deleted, the formatting of the next section break is being applied.

See http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP