Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DLS

Default Mailmerge and the Status Bar

I've recently upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and found mailmerge to be quite a
change! I've pretty much mastered the changes but cannot understand that
once I have merged a document and selected "Edit individuals letter", the
Letters' Status Bar indicates that there are double the amount of pages than
there should be. i.e. the main document is one page only and the data file
contains 43 records with the Status bar showing:

Page 1 Section 1 1/85

It doesn't make sense and would love an answer to my problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

It sounds like your merge source letter document has an empty second page.
What happens when you merge to a new document and page through that
document?
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm cover most of the issues
that you need to know about when changing from Word 2000 - 2003.

DLS wrote:
I've recently upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and found mailmerge to be
quite a change! I've pretty much mastered the changes but cannot
understand that once I have merged a document and selected "Edit
individuals letter", the Letters' Status Bar indicates that there are
double the amount of pages than there should be. i.e. the main
document is one page only and the data file contains 43 records with
the Status bar showing:

Page 1 Section 1 1/85

It doesn't make sense and would love an answer to my problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DLS

Graham, thanks for your response.

Unfortunately the source document doesn't have a second page, and when I
merge to a new document, the status bar displays 1/85 but when paging down
say to the second page, the status bar says 3/85 when in fact the second page
is definitely displayed. The same problem will occur as I scroll down
through the document. It is most odd!

Regards Heather

DLS wrote:
I've recently upgraded from 2000 to 2003 and found mailmerge to be
quite a change! I've pretty much mastered the changes but cannot
understand that once I have merged a document and selected "Edit
individuals letter", the Letters' Status Bar indicates that there are
double the amount of pages than there should be. i.e. the main
document is one page only and the data file contains 43 records with
the Status bar showing:

Page 1 Section 1 1/85

It doesn't make sense and would love an answer to my problem.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?RExT?=,

Unfortunately the source document doesn't have a second page, and when I
merge to a new document, the status bar displays 1/85 but when paging down
say to the second page, the status bar says 3/85 when in fact the second page
is definitely displayed. The same problem will occur as I scroll down
through the document. It is most odd!

Go into the merge result and File/Page Setup/Layout. Is the option for even/odd
pages activated? If yes, you can delete this result file. Go back to the main
merge document and deactivate this option. Now when you execute the merge those
missing (even) pages should go away.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org