Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carey G

Default Conditional record merging not working in Word 2003

I have a mail merge document I set up in Word 97 that was working fabulously
for over two years. Now that we have migrated to Word 2003, it is no longer
working.

The document pulls records from a table in an Access database. Each record
includes a field "LastRecord" and this field is set to either True or False
(-1 or 0, respectively). If the field is True, the next record gets merged
into a NEW document. If it's False, the next record gets merged into the
SAME document as the previous record. I set this up as specified in a
href="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=105888"KB article Q105888/a, and,
like I mentioned, it was working great in Word 97.

According to the KB article, in order to allow for as many records as needed
to merge into one document, I had to have that many instances of the "set
duplicate" structure... well NOW, with Word 2003, when the merge hits the
last record in a group (LastRecord = True), it simply keeps DUPLICATING that
last record as many times as I have instances of the "set duplicate"
structure. Once that's done, it goes on to the next document as it SHOULD
have when it FIRST reached LastRecord = True.

I know KB Q105888 was specifically written for Word 97. Does anyone know if
this solution is still viable for Word 2003? If not, perhaps there is a
similar solution that would only require some slight tweeking? I'd really
hate to have to drop back and punt from square one on this particular
document.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Carey
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I don't think that there is any difference in the way that fields work
between 97 and 2003.

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Articles

However, if it were me, with the data in Access, I would use an Access
report for this.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Carey G" Carey wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MS Public

What you say may well be completely correct, but something you could check
is that you are still getting the same values for True and False. The values
received from Access depend on whether you are using the DDE connection
method (the default in Word 97), ODBC (available in both 97 and 2003 but the
default in neither) or OLEDB (the default in Word XP/2003). If I remember
correctly the values returned a

Method Yes(True) value No(False) value
DDE 0 -1
ODBC 0 1
OLEDB True False

Peter Jamieson

[...]

how do i set up template in vbeditor without proggramming language ARRRGH New Users 4 October 1st 05 03:19 AM
Word 97 templates not working properly in Word 2003 limited computer knowledge Microsoft Word Help 0 April 26th 05 02:07 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Wordperfect Office 2000 conversion to Word 2003 MikeE New Users 1 March 21st 05 01:04 AM
How do I create & merge specific data base & master documents? maggiev New Users 2 January 13th 05 12:30 AM