Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pete

Default merge to separate files

I have an excel sheet containing rows of merge data
Data for each person in an individual row

Can I merge each row into a separate word file (filename taken from the
excel data)

so that I end up with many individual word files

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you are using Word XP or later, I have created an add-in that will do
that. You can find it on fellow MVP, Graham Mayor's website at:

http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

If you have Word 97, here's the method that I used to use that involves
creating a separate
catalog type mailmerge maindocument which creates a word document containing
a table in each row of which would be your data from the database that you
want to use as the filename.

You first execute that mailmerge, then save that file and close it. Then
execute the mailmerge that you want to create the separate files from and
with the
result of that on the screen, run a macro containing the following code
and when the File open dialog appears, select the file containing the table
created by the first mailmerge

' Throw Away Macro created by Doug Robbins
'
Dim Source As Document, oblist As Document, DocName As Range, DocumentName
As String
Dim i As Long, doctext As Range, target As Document
Set Source = ActiveDocument
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
.Show
End With
Set oblist = ActiveDocument
Counter = 1
For i = 1 To oblist.Tables(1).Rows.Count
Set DocName = oblist.Tables(1).Cell(i, 1).Range
DocName.End = DocName.End - 1

'Change the path in the following command to suit where you want to save
the documents.
DocumentName = "I:\WorkArea\Documentum\" & DocName.Text
Set doctext = Source.Sections(i).Range
doctext.End = doctext.End - 1
Set target = Documents.Add
target.Range.FormattedText = doctext
target.SaveAs FileName:=DocumentName
target.Close
Next i

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Pete" wrote in message
I have an excel sheet containing rows of merge data
Data for each person in an individual row

Can I merge each row into a separate word file (filename taken from the
excel data)

so that I end up with many individual word files

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Pete

Thanks Doug

This is exactly what I need

But I get a 'Compiler error in hidden module: Merge Application'
right after I select which records to merge

Module is unviewable and so I can not debug

I have Word 2003 SP2 running on Windows XP Pro SP2

Thanks for any help

Pete

"Pete" wrote in message
I have an excel sheet containing rows of merge data
Data for each person in an individual row

Can I merge each row into a separate word file (filename taken from the
excel data)

so that I end up with many individual word files

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

I assume that you are using the add-in that you downloaded from Graham's
website. Do you have Word as the Editor in Outlook? If so, make sure that
you start Word before starting Outlook.

Do you have any other add-ins present (ToolsTemplates and Addins)? If so,
what are they?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Pete" wrote in message
I have an excel sheet containing rows of merge data
Data for each person in an individual row

Can I merge each row into a separate word file (filename taken from the
excel data)

so that I end up with many individual word files

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Another thing to check is in the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11 will open it,
from the Tools menu, select References and see if there is a check mark
against the "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library" If there isn't, locate
that item in the list of Available References and check the box alongside
it.

2 merge files ljt Mailmerge 1 October 12th 05 06:51 PM
I can´t do open now two files in separate windows of word. Why? Ernesto Microsoft Word Help 1 August 25th 05 09:14 PM
Mail Merge: How do you merge to file but create separate files david Mailmerge 1 March 22nd 05 07:11 AM
mail merge to separate documents wendy Microsoft Word Help 2 February 3rd 05 04:57 PM
mail merge not recognizing Outlook files wangberg Mailmerge 1 December 15th 04 02:32 PM