Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andy Chan

Default Can string operators be used?

Dear all,

I want to perform a mail merge like this.

I have an Excel file with personal information of customers and want to
export it as Word documents and print it. One of the items to be exported is
called "Account_Number" (A string with 10 characters) . However, I only want
the first 5 characters to be shown on the document. What can I do to the
mergefield? Can I use some sort of functions like Left(Account_Number, 5) as
in Excel? I don't want to modify the Excel file if possible. Thanks in
advance!

Best Regards,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use the Left() function in Excel to create another column containing just
that information.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Andy Chan" wrote in message
Dear all,

I want to perform a mail merge like this.

I have an Excel file with personal information of customers and want to
export it as Word documents and print it. One of the items to be exported
is called "Account_Number" (A string with 10 characters) . However, I only
want the first 5 characters to be shown on the document. What can I do to
the mergefield? Can I use some sort of functions like Left(Account_Number,
5) as in Excel? I don't want to modify the Excel file if possible. Thanks
in advance!

Best Regards,
Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can't use string operators in fields. Despite your reluctance to edit
the Excel data source, as Doug says, that is the best course; however if the
field is a number (as opposed to numbers and letters) then
{ =INT({ Mergefield Account_Number} /100000) } should do the trick.