Pinky

Default Help! Word document Protection

I created a document that is going to be used as a instruction manual and I
need the first page to be protected so that only form fields are being
changed in the document. The subsequent pages are tables and within these
tables are photos inserted for visual aid in the instruction. The problem
I'am finding is this:

I inserted a section break on page 1 of the document and initiated the
"Protect Document" option on section 1 of the document.

Now on the following pages, that I will be entering photos and text, are
still showing that the document is locked. I can still insert photos and text
into the tables but I cannot use the "Auto Shapes" option in MS Word.

Is this option not available on section 2 when a document is locked for
section 1 only?
How can I set this document up and still protect page 1 and still allow for
use of "AutoShapes" etc... on the following pages.

Jay Freedman

Hi Pinky,

Unfortunately, while any part a document is protected for forms, it's
impossible to use any of the drawing tools including AutoShapes -- even in
unprotected sections. The only solution is to unprotect the document, draw
the shapes, and reprotect the document.

Depending on what version of Word you have, you may need the macro in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...lfResetOff.htm to be able to
reprotect without clearing the form fields.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Pinky

Jay,

Thanks for the reply, but is there a way to lock individual cells within a
table in MS Word?

Pinky,

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Jay Freedman

Locking individual cells is possible only in Word 2003. And if that document
is opened in any earlier version, it behaves as if the whole document is
protected.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cbcrocker cbcrocker is offline

Jay - I can't find the instructions for locking individual cells in Word
2003. Where is it located? - Craig

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Type "protect" in the Help search box, and choose the topic "Allow
editing in a protected document". Read those instructions. Then you
have to use your imagination a little bit.

The procedure involves protecting the whole document and then allowing
editing everywhere except where you want locking. So allow editing
from the beginning of the document up to, but not including, the first
locked cell. Allow editing for any cells or groups of cells that
should not be locked. Finally, allow editing from just beyond the end
of the last locked cell to the end of the document.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cbcrocker cbcrocker is offline

Thanks. If there's a macrobutton (one that saves the document and attaches
it to an email) in one of the cells will it continue to work?

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The macrobutton will continue to call the macro, regardless of whether
it's in a protected cell or an unprotected area. Whether the macro
continues to operate correctly is something you'll have to test -- it
depends on exactly what the macro does.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cbcrocker cbcrocker is offline

The macrobutton will save the form and then attach it to an email. Ideally
I'd like the subsequent email to be preaddressed when it opens but I haven't
figured out how to do that.

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

As I said, you're going to have to test the macro in the environment
in which it's going to have to work. I can't tell you in advance how
that's going to turn out.

The article at http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/InterDev/SendMail.htm
discusses several ways to make macros that send documents as email.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
newsgroup so all may benefit.

Pinky wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
magnus magnus is offline

I am currently trying to make an standard form of letter. I've activated
protection on the document and edited where the others may insert text. This
seemed to work as I intended it, but when printed out, there is a marker at
the start and end of the texts.

I'll try to clearify. [Name] is a typical box available for editing. Now, on
the print, it says : |Martin|. how are these "|" removed from the document
upon printing? I've tried searching with the help on this, but having
difficulties finding the searchword adequate to solving the matter.