Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default No Table of Contents entries found

Hi

I have a TOC in a template which only picks up certain types of
headings. This works fine when these headings are being used, but when
they aren't being used you get an ugly "Error! No Table of Contents
entries found" message. I don't want it to show this message.

As far as I know there is no TOC switch you can use to disable the
error message.

I know how to hide my TOC by formatting it as hidden. I can write the
VBA to toggle whether or not it shows. So my fallback plan was to have
a macro which searches the document for this type of text, and if it
can't find it, hide the TOC.

Am I missing something here?

Help appreciated gratefully.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

An easy workaround is to add some dummy text in a heading style; that
way, you would never see the error message as documents are created
from the template.

In theory, a nested field should work, something like this:

{ IF { TOC } = "Error! No table of contents entries found" "" "{
TOC }" }

At least in my version of Word, this does not seem to work, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi

I have a TOC in a template which only picks up certain types of
headings. This works fine when these headings are being used, but

when
they aren't being used you get an ugly "Error! No Table of Contents
entries found" message. I don't want it to show this message.

As far as I know there is no TOC switch you can use to disable the
error message.

I know how to hide my TOC by formatting it as hidden. I can write

the
VBA to toggle whether or not it shows. So my fallback plan was to

have
a macro which searches the document for this type of text, and if it
can't find it, hide the TOC.

Am I missing something here?

Help appreciated gratefully.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get that to work in my Word 2003
either though.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom

Note that if you don't want to use "dummy headings" in the file,
select the TOC and create an AutoText entry from it. That way, you can
easily insert the correct field code when needed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ps.com...
Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't get that to work in my Word

2003
either though.

Aniya Denise Aniya Denise is offline
Junior Member

The article you shared makes me quite interested and I want to share it with many other forums about this article. Besides that, I would like to introduce you to a rather interesting website. LOL Beans is a popular game for a number of reasons. It's free to play, has entertaining graphics, and is simple to understand. However, one of the main reasons why people enjoy it so much is that it is completely free! That means you can play as many games as you want without spending any money. The only drawback to this game is that you must watch advertisements in order to watch the videos, but aside from that, it is ideal for anyone looking for a new, exciting game to play right now.