Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
mjones mjones is offline

Default Tab Not Changing Levels In Number Lists

Hi,

This strange thing happened a few days ago and I can't remember what I
did to start it and can't figure out how to stop it.

For example,
1. Level1
a) Level2

Generally, when you're in outline numbering and you hit tab (i.e. after
'Level1', I enter then hit tab), it takes you to the next level in
(i.e. the a)), but now for some reason, tab just gives me a tab! I
will have 2. with a double tab after it instead of a).

If I click the increase indent icon, it works fine, but it's a drag.
I'd like my tab to work again.

Any ideas how I got in this mess or how I can get out of it?

Thanks,

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

In Word 97 and 2000, click on Tools | Options | Edit | check the
"Tabs and backspace set left indent" box | OK.

In Word 2002 and 2003, click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat As You Type | check the "Set left- and first-indent
with tabs and backspaces" box | OK.

mjones wrote:
Hi,

This strange thing happened a few days ago and I can't remember what I
did to start it and can't figure out how to stop it.

For example,
1. Level1
a) Level2

Generally, when you're in outline numbering and you hit tab (i.e. after
'Level1', I enter then hit tab), it takes you to the next level in
(i.e. the a)), but now for some reason, tab just gives me a tab! I
will have 2. with a double tab after it instead of a).

If I click the increase indent icon, it works fine, but it's a drag.
I'd like my tab to work again.

Any ideas how I got in this mess or how I can get out of it?

Thanks,

Michele

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
mjones mjones is offline

That did it. Thanks so much!

You have to wonder how these things happen because I'm sure I didn't
uncheck this box. The phantom strikes again.