Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
WAYNEL WAYNEL is offline

Default Modify feilds

How can I mondify the FileName feild so that it just gives me the
filename without the extention, with sa Left(FileName,8).

WayneL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Hi Waynel

WAYNEL wrote:
How can I mondify the FileName feild so that it just gives me the
filename without the extention, with sa Left(FileName,8).

In short: you don't.

You can change the way Windows itself displays filenames (w/o the
extension), but this is generally not a good idea.

But there's no field switch doing what you ask for (and God knows we've
asked for such things repeatedly :-)).

You could programmatically (on saving?) insert the filename into a
Document variable or property and reference this instead.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
WAYNEL WAYNEL is offline

Hi Robert

Is there someway of using VBA say NoExt = FileName, then say insert
that into a feild?

WayneL

Robert M. Franz (RMF) wrote:
Hi Waynel

WAYNEL wrote:
How can I mondify the FileName feild so that it just gives me the
filename without the extention, with sa Left(FileName,8).

In short: you don't.

You can change the way Windows itself displays filenames (w/o the
extension), but this is generally not a good idea.

But there's no field switch doing what you ask for (and God knows we've
asked for such things repeatedly :-)).

You could programmatically (on saving?) insert the filename into a
Document variable or property and reference this instead.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
X Against HTML | for
/ \ in e-mail & news | Word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

WAYNEL wrote:
Is there someway of using VBA say NoExt = FileName, then say insert
that into a feild?

You can do almost anything in VBA, like define your own macro which
inserts the filename to your liking at the insertion point. But I don't
know of anything you can do to actually change the output of a FILENAME
field in the way you want it.

[BTW, even if you _had_ the possibility to use simple string
manipulation on the field itself, not every document name consists of
8+3 ...]

Greetinx
Robert
--