aehan

Default Blank lines

In Word 2003, when I use an existing data file (does not have Microsoft field
names) and use the More Items... method of inserting the fields to the
letters/labels, the result of the merge leaves blank lines where there is,
for example, an Address 2 field if there is no data in that record. It still
happens if I match the fields. I don't want to go and change all of the
headings in all of my data sources it would take forever and because I am UK
based none of them have headings like City, State or Zip Code.

In the old version of mail merge there was a setting for do not leave blank
lines. Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions would be gratefully
received. Thankyou.
Doug Robbins

Use an If...then...Else field to use the data from the field if it exists
and ignore it if it doesn't

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Address2 } ="" { MERGFIELD City } { MERGEFIELD Address2 }¶
{ MERGEFIELD City } }

Insert a carriage return whern the ¶ appears in the above construction.
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"aehan" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I use an existing data file (does not have Microsoft
field
names) and use the More Items... method of inserting the fields to the
letters/labels, the result of the merge leaves blank lines where there is,
for example, an Address 2 field if there is no data in that record. It
still
happens if I match the fields. I don't want to go and change all of the
headings in all of my data sources it would take forever and because I am
UK
based none of them have headings like City, State or Zip Code.

In the old version of mail merge there was a setting for do not leave
blank
lines. Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions would be
gratefully
received. Thankyou.

aehan

Thank you very much for getting back and I'll certainly try it. However, I
teach adults, some of whom are not terribly PC literate and and
If...then...Else field may be a bit much for them. I just wondered if there
was a quick and easy setting. If there isn't then we'll have to live with it,
but it could potentially cause lots of problems on this side of the pond.

Thanks for your help.

"aehan" wrote in message
In Word 2003, when I use an existing data file (does not have Microsoft
field
names) and use the More Items... method of inserting the fields to the
letters/labels, the result of the merge leaves blank lines where there is,
for example, an Address 2 field if there is no data in that record. It
still
happens if I match the fields. I don't want to go and change all of the
headings in all of my data sources it would take forever and because I am
UK
based none of them have headings like City, State or Zip Code.

In the old version of mail merge there was a setting for do not leave
blank
lines. Does anyone know what I can do? Any suggestions would be
gratefully
received. Thankyou.

aehan

Have now discovered that if I use the Mail Merge Toolbar, match the fields
and insert them from there there is no problem. I'll therefore ditch the
wizard and use the toolbar.