Gene

Default how do I remove excess spacing between data flelds when using wor.

middle initial and last name when the person does not have a middle initial.
Doug Robbins

Use an If...Then...Else field that returns the MI and the LastName if the MI
exists or just returns the LastName if it does not.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "MI" } "" { MERGEFIELD "MI"} { MERGEFIELD "LastName" }
{ MERGEFIELD "LastName" } }

Use a non-breaking space between { MERGEFIELD "MI"} and { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } so that it gets treated as the result for the "true" condition.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gene" wrote in message
middle initial and last name when the person does not have a middle
initial.

Graham Mayor

Doug

Given the space is that going to work without the speech marks?

{ IF { MERGEFIELD MI } "" "{ MERGEFIELD MI} { MERGEFIELD LastName }" "{
MERGEFIELD LastName }" }

might be better in the circumstances?

Doug Robbins wrote:
Use an If...Then...Else field that returns the MI and the LastName if
the MI exists or just returns the LastName if it does not.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "MI" } "" { MERGEFIELD "MI"} { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } { MERGEFIELD "LastName" } }

Use a non-breaking space between { MERGEFIELD "MI"} and { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } so that it gets treated as the result for the "true"
condition.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Gene" wrote in message
between the
middle initial and last name when the person does not have a middle
initial.

Doug Robbins

Thanks, Graham. I thought that the non-breaking space might do the trick,
but testing it now, I find that it doesn't.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Doug Robbins wrote:
Use an If...Then...Else field that returns the MI and the LastName if
the MI exists or just returns the LastName if it does not.

{ IF { MERGEFIELD "MI" } "" { MERGEFIELD "MI"} { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } { MERGEFIELD "LastName" } }

Use a non-breaking space between { MERGEFIELD "MI"} and { MERGEFIELD
"LastName" } so that it gets treated as the result for the "true"
condition.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
between the