clairemth04

Default mail merge error message: "exceeds maximum width"

I'm trying to add a field to a data source for a mail merge in Word 2003 and
keep getting this error message that says "exceeds maximum width." What's
going on here?
Doug Robbins

What are you using as the data source - With 2003, a data source in a Word
document is limited to about 64 fields, a data source in Excel or Access can
have about 255 fields.

Are you sure that the message is not that the maximum number of fields has
been exceeded rather than "exceeds maximum width"

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"clairemth04" wrote in message
I'm trying to add a field to a data source for a mail merge in Word 2003
and
keep getting this error message that says "exceeds maximum width." What's
going on here?

clairemth04

Using Word 2003 as the data source, I had gotten to about 40 fields on my
first try and somewhere in the teens on my second try before getting an error
message that said "exceeds maximum width." Any ideas? Thanks for your

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

What are you using as the data source - With 2003, a data source in a Word
document is limited to about 64 fields, a data source in Excel or Access can
have about 255 fields.

Are you sure that the message is not that the maximum number of fields has
been exceeded rather than "exceeds maximum width"

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"clairemth04" wrote in message
I'm trying to add a field to a data source for a mail merge in Word 2003
and
keep getting this error message that says "exceeds maximum width." What's
going on here?

Doug Robbins

Just testing now, this happens because the total width of all of the columns
becomes to great. If you reduce the width of the columns, you are able to
add more, but the easiest thing is probably to use Excel as the datasource.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

What are you using as the data source - With 2003, a data source in a
Word
document is limited to about 64 fields, a data source in Excel or Access
can
have about 255 fields.

Are you sure that the message is not that the maximum number of fields
has
been exceeded rather than "exceeds maximum width"

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid