Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Parent Mark Parent is offline

Default Mail Merge: If ... then ... else

I understand that I can use this function to check a field in my merge data,
and insert one or another text string into my Word document. What I'd like
to do is use a field in my merge data to direct which of two merge fields to
print. Is there a way to implement something like:
If [FIELD1] is Empty then [FIELD2] else [FIELD3] ?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes. It's generally easier to insert this kind of "nested field" using the
keyboard rather than the drop down lists and so on - you need
a. to enable the Mail Merge toolbar (View|Toolbars in WOrd 2002,2003, it
automatically appears for mailmerge documents in earlier versions) Use the
button to switch between "field view" where you see fieldname and
"data preview" where you see some result data
b. Alt-F9 to toggle between "field code view" where you see { MERGEFIELD
fieldname } and "field view"/preview. You may find that fields disappear as
you insert them and you need to use Alt-F9 to get them back.
c. select one or more fields and press F9 to update their values
d. ctrl-F9 to insert /each/ pair of the special "field code braces"

The field you need is

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD field1 }" = "" "{ MERGEFIELD field2 }" "{ MERGEFIELD
field3 }" }

If you don't like all the quotes in this case you can probably get away with

{ IF { MERGEFIELD field1 } = "" { MERGEFIELD field2 } { MERGEFIELD
field3 } }

but I advise you to stick with what I suggested.

If the field name "field1" actually has spaces in it, e.g. is "field 1",
then you need even more quotes to surround the name, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD "field 1" }" = "" "{ MERGEFIELD field2 }" "{ MERGEFIELD
field3 }" }

Peter Jamieson

"Mark Parent" wrote in message
I understand that I can use this function to check a field in my merge
data,
and insert one or another text string into my Word document. What I'd
like
to do is use a field in my merge data to direct which of two merge fields
print. Is there a way to implement something like:
If [FIELD1] is Empty then [FIELD2] else [FIELD3] ?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Mark Parent Mark Parent is offline

Thanks much.... At the risk of sounding like Chandler Bing, all that Alt-F9,
Ctrl-F9, F9 couldn't BE more complicating, but I'm away to the races now.
Cheers !

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The three listed commands that control fields quickly become second nature
when working with merge documents.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Curt Curt is offline

Have used if then else in excel. Not familar good with word. Want to have
word stop printing when it finds a blank cell. This is in a mail merge macro.
Is there code to do this? I have written procedures in excel. No expert self
tought. Having a good time. Those of you that man this group are lifesavers.
Thanks

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Your other messages suggest that you may have solved this problem, but if
not...

1. I don't think a Word { IF } field will help here, because it doesn't let
you terminate a merge (i.e. you can't do something like

IF condition THEN
exit function
ELSE
continue merging
END IF

If your Excel macro is starting Word, then performing a MailMerge.Execute,
it's already "too late" - the start and end records have been selected and
the merge will merge those records, /unless/ you are also using Merge Events
in Word, in which case you can cancel the merge from within.

However, since your merge is running from Excel, I would suggest that it
would be simpler to run some Excel code to find the first blank cell in the
column that you want to test, (say it is in row N of the sheet) then set the
merge so that it merges rows 2 to N-1

Peter Jamieson

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
elg elg is offline

Hi,

I am totaly new at this complexity of merge and want to be sure I understand
where these logic strings should go--you place them right in the middle of
your sequence of fields to build an address. I was trying to follow
instructions from word mvp to build a complex address where not every filed
in every record would have a value and came up with this result:
{ MERGEFIELD jobtitle }{ IF { MERGEFIELD jobtitle } = "" "" " " }

{ MERGEFIELD org1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD org1 } = "" "" " " }

{ MERGEFIELD org2 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD org2 } = "" "" " " }

{ MERGEFIELD jobtitle }{ IF { MERGEFIELD jobtitle } = "" "" " " }

{ MERGEFIELD address2 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD address2 } = "" "" " " }

but when I ran the merge, only the name field got filled in. I would
greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is difficult to see the relevance of your particular field names, but if
I show a typical example of conditional fields in an address, maybe you can
work it out from there?

{ Mergefield FirstName } { Mergefield LastName }¶
{ IF{ Mergefield JobTitle } "" "{ Mergefield JobTitle }¶
" }{ IF{ Mergefield Company } "" "{ Mergefield Company }¶
" }{ Mergefield Address1 }¶
{ IF { Mergefield Address2 } "" "{ Mergefield Address2 }¶
" }{Mergefield Address 3 } etc

Press Enter where you see ¶ and nowhere else.

Your example
{ MERGEFIELD org1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD org1 } = "" "" " " }
enters the content of org1 then if Org1 is not empty it enters a space. This
can be written more simply as
{ MERGEFIELD org1 }{ IF { MERGEFIELD org1 } "" " " }
or
{ IF { MERGEFIELD org1 } "" "{ MERGEFIELD org1 } " }
ie If Org1 has content (not empty) write org1 and a space.