Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
DeeDeeCee DeeDeeCee is offline

Default A Date Field that Doesn't Update

Hi. I've got a letter template that I made with a Date field that inserts the
current date. It works fine, but when I'm done with the letter and want to
store it away, I want it to retain the date that originally had on the letter
when I wrote and sent it. Instead, the date updates so that when I look for
the record 3 months later, it will have the current date on which I re-open
it. I can try to remember to Ctrl, Shift, F9 while I'm in the field, to turn
it from a field to plain text, but I will forget many times. Is there a way
to have the date be set and stay set at the day I finish the document?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The reason is that you have inserted a date field which shows the system
date. What you need to do is change those date fields for createdate
fields - ALT+F9 change {DATE \@ "d MMM yyyy"}or {TIME \@ "d MMM yyyy"} to
{CREATEDATE \@ "d MMM yyyy"} then F9 and ALT+F9 - and change the date in
your letterhead template so that future letters based on it show the correct
dates. The switches \@ "d MMM yyyy" may be different at your location.