Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
crpedro crpedro is offline

Default Apartment numbers and POSTNET barcodes

I'm trying to find the correct format for putting apartment numbers on my
address line and then creating a POSTNET barcode.

Everything works just fine for any address that doesn't contain an apartment
number, but when I put an apartment number on the address line, my mail gets
returned, "Address Not Known". This mail gets there just fine without the
barcode.

Is there a correct format for apartment numbers?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are not using postnet barcodes for bulk mailing discounts, the USPS
has an article saying
that

"unless you are preparing a mailing for automation rates, you should NOT put
barcodes on the mailpieces. As long as the mailing address is correct, your
mail will still be processed efficiently without a barcode-and
you won't need to worry about having the wrong barcode on your mail."

http://www.usps.com/businessmail101/...tsBarcoded.htm

One of the links in the article says that you can't get an automation-rate
discount unless your mailing list has been verified by Coding Accuracy
Support System (CASS) software and you're sending at least 200 or 500 pieces
(depending on the mail class) at one time.

Part of the problem is that the standards for generating barcodes have
changed over the years and Word's feature has not kept up. Microsoft has a
general
article about this he:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290

There's a specific article about the problem with "multi-unit buildings"
he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220548

In other words, if you're using USPS barcodes for bulk mailing discounts,
you have to use a package other than Word. If you aren't, you don't need
them and probably shouldn't use them at all.

Peter Jamieson