Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] tom@tperkowski.com is offline

Default Printing envelopes or mailing labels

I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or try a
mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of characters that don't
make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and reads:
(A box character)BARCODE "
(BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I have
checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't prove it
since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Do you mean: {BARCODE "{MERGEFIELD ZIP}"62736-0001}"\u} ?
Tools options print uncheck 'field codes'
It seems you have a barcode field on your envelope.

The barcode produced by Word is POSTNET.
The USPS no longer accepts that format for bulk mail discounts -- see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290. You might as well not use the
barcode feature at all.

See http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or
try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and reads:
(A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I have
checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't
prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] tom@tperkowski.com is offline

No, I mean an ASCII character that looks like a box. I entered what is being
printed on the envelope EXACTLY (except for the box character). Field codes
IS unchecked, as is the POSTNET option.
How do I delete this barcode field from the envelope? It appears whether I
use a mail merge table or a single address from TOOLS, ENVELOPES, etc.

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or
try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and reads:
(A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I have
checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't
prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Hmmmm. I'd be tempted to look out for an autotext entry called
EnvelopeExtra1 or EnvelopeExtra2 which would be added to any envelope you
create. Also see what is contained in the user information - mailing address
section at tools options.

Does the problem occur if you start Word in its safe mode (hold the CTRL key
whilst starting Word)? If not see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm particularly the
references to normal.dot and the registry Data key.

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or
try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and
reads: (A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I
have checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't
prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] tom@tperkowski.com is offline

Yes, it ocurred in the safe mode also.
What do I try next?

Tom

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or
try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and
reads: (A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I
have checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't
prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
[email protected] tom@tperkowski.com is offline

Graham,
It's about 2 minutes later and after I re-re-read your last reply,
specifically the line
"Also see what is contained in the user information - mailing address
section at tools options.". Well, I did and there was nothing obvious
until I noticed that there was a vertical scroll bar. This made no sense,
since I had only a three line address. When I scrolled down, probably 10 to
12 lines, there was, what appeared to be a " character in the first column of
that line. I deleted it, reprint the envelope and the mysterious line
disappeared. I will continue to double check, but I thought I'd "close the
loop". Strange?
Tom

wrote:
I'm using Word 2003 SP2. Recently, every time I print an envelope or
try a mail merge (from Access or Word) I am getting a line of
characters that don't make any sense.
It starts above the address, in the middle of the envelope and
reads: (A box
character)BARCODE " (BOX)MERGEFIELD zip (BOX)62736-
0001(BOX)
"\u

Neither the return address or the addressee have that zip code. I
have checked to see if there are any hidden codes, but see none.
I beieve it started after one of the MS automatic updates but can't
prove it since I don't do envelopes too often.
Any HELP?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Glad you bottomed this - there are really only three ways you can get data
on an envelope
1. The EnvelopeExtra1&2 autotexts
2. The User Address info
and
3. What you enter there.
The User Address can be a pain. I tend to have no information saved there
and I use the method I created at
http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm if I want extra
information on the envelope.