Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default directory document

My search of the archives has not given me the answer to this.

I am mail-merging Excel data into a Word 'directory' document (using the
2003 versions), which consists of text and a table. I want the table to
expand based upon how many records are related to a name in a field of the
spreadsheet. For example, the Word documents are being addressed to Tom who
has four records and Sally who has six in the spreadsheet. The data merge
fine, meaning I get unique records, if I first create a table of set size.
If my table is five rows long, I get one of Sally's records with Tom's four.
And I can't get all of Sally's six in. So, I need helping in 1) being able
to size the table and 2) creating a new document with each name. Imagine
that I have 10 names and anywhere from two to 12 records associated with each
name.

Any ideas?

thanks.
Bruce
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do:

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

or at:

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Bruce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bruce Bruce is offline

Doug,

I took a look last night at the suggested sites. I played around some with
the code. I think the answer to my situation is at least partially there - a
good thing. I now have some other approaches to this. If, rather when, I
get a solution, I'll post it.

thanks,
Bruce