Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Madmax

Default envelopes

After typing a letter in word with the address in the header, the address
does not show up on the envelope. Is there a way to have the address show up
without typing it in?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If Word cannot identify the address in the letter, then you need to select
it before running the envelope wizard. Why have you put the addressee
information in the document header? No wonder the wizard can't see it.

Madmax wrote:
After typing a letter in word with the address in the header, the
address does not show up on the envelope. Is there a way to have the
address show up without typing it in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Madmax

Do you mean that I need to highlight the address before I click tools then
envelopes? Perhaps I was not clear when I used the term "header". As I
composed the letter, I typed the date then I typed the address underneath the
date. Usually the address would be in the address box in the envelope when I
clicked on it. Am I doing something wrong?

Madmax wrote:
After typing a letter in word with the address in the header, the
address does not show up on the envelope. Is there a way to have the
address show up without typing it in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

OK, it was a misunderstanding over the term header in this context. The fact
remains that if Word cannot identify an address, eg because of formatting
considerations, too many lines etc, you need to select the address first for
the wizard to pick it up.

Madmax wrote:
After typing a letter in word with the address in the header, the
address does not show up on the envelope. Is there a way to have
the address show up without typing it in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy N Kathy N is offline

I've done exactly what I'm supposed to do - the addressee is in the body of
the letter, right under the date, strictly 3 lines, I highlight, go to tools,
etc., but it isn't picked up by the envelope as the addressee.

Madmax wrote:
After typing a letter in word with the address in the header, the
address does not show up on the envelope. Is there a way to have
the address show up without typing it in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The formatting of the address can influence whether Word sees it as an
address. Try formatting the address with the built-in Inside Address
paragraph style (or the normal paragraph style). If all else fails copy to
the clipboard and paste into the envelope wizard.

If you are getting your addressee information from Outlook, you may like the
sample envelope templates you can download from my web site and the article
at http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm which explains how they are
created.