Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Default Placing a carriage return at the end of every line.

Hi
I wish to place a story on a site on the web which I have written in word.
However the site I am publishing the story on requires that the story be
limited to 68 characters per line with a line break at the end of every line.
Restricting the number of characters to each line is easy but, is there an
easy way of placing a return at the end of every line without having tio do
this manually? The story is several hundred lines long!
Any help would be appreciated

Wombat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Hi Suzanne
Where would we be without you.
Have tried as you sugested, adjusted margins, used Times New Roman and saved
as a .txt file, however when I open it up in text it is only limited by the
window size and in Word there are no paragraph marks at the end of each line.
Am I missing something here? What are monospaced fonts?
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a monospaced font, adjust the margins to allow the set number of
characters, and save the file as .txt.

"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Hi
I wish to place a story on a site on the web which I have written in word.
However the site I am publishing the story on requires that the story be
limited to 68 characters per line with a line break at the end of every

line.
Restricting the number of characters to each line is easy but, is there an
easy way of placing a return at the end of every line without having tio

do
this manually? The story is several hundred lines long!
Any help would be appreciated

Wombat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Well, first of all, TNR is not a monospaced font. Try Courier. You need to
save as Text with Line Breaks. In Word 2003 (and undoubtedly some previous
versions--at least 2002), if you select Plain Text, you get a dialog that
allows you various choices. One of them is a check box for "Insert line
breaks" with a choice of what kind of breaks to insert. I have not tried
this, so have no idea what the effect of the various options would be, but
you could experiment. If you have an earlier version that actually offers a
Save As file type of "text with line breaks," then use that.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Use a monospaced font, adjust the margins to allow the set number of
characters, and save the file as .txt.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Hi
I wish to place a story on a site on the web which I have written in

word.
However the site I am publishing the story on requires that the story

be
limited to 68 characters per line with a line break at the end of

every
line.
Restricting the number of characters to each line is easy but, is

there an
easy way of placing a return at the end of every line without having

tio
do
this manually? The story is several hundred lines long!
Any help would be appreciated

Wombat

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Wally Wombat Wally Wombat is offline

Hi Suzanne

That's cracked it, excellent. Interestingly if one is aiming for a line
character spacing of 68 , you have to adjust the margins to get a word count
of 67, as the line breaks count for an extra charcter if you choose CR, as
this character is not be included.
Again many thnaks

Wombat

Eats, roots and leaves.