Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Carrying outline formats across documents

Greetings,
I'm using 2003, SP1 and have a large number of inherited documents to
update. Unfortunately, they were all created by different people and don't
follow a standardized outline format.
I've created a 'blank' document with the outline numbering on it (I went and
created the outline to 5 or 6 levels without typing anything in the
different levels). Is there a way for me to 'capture' that custom outline
and propogate it through the other documents, or somehow have it be
selectable when I go into their outlines and select Format/Bullets &
Numbering/Outline Numbered? It gives 'None" and some stock items and I
really don't have any way of identifying if one of those is the one I
created especially for this task.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
Shane

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

1. Set up numbered styles in your "blank" document according to the
instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. Save
the document as a template.

2. Create a new document based on your new template.

3. On the Insert menu, click File. Select the document to which you
want to apply the new outline format, and click the Insert button.
This brings the text of the source document into the newly created
document. Any styles already used in the source documents will assume
the formatting of the target document. If styles wasn't applied to the
source document, you have to do so manually.

Repeat steps 2-3 for each document to modify.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Stefan,
That's a lot of info, but it looks pretty good so I'll give it a go. I
figured templates would have something to do with it, now I'm beginning to
catch on a bit.

Thanks,

Shane

"SV" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you need more information about templates, take a look at:

Creating a Template – The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...platePart2.htm

--