Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jazz Jazz is offline

Default toolsoptionsprintbackground printing??

There is a school of thought out there suggesting that background printing is
not such a good idea - can anyone give me more detailed info on what exactly
this option does? Do any of the MVPs out there think it is better to have
this option selected or deselected. Is it more bother than it is worth?

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00034.htm -- indicates that in PPT at least, this
option should be deselected. Could it be the same for Word? please advise.

Thanks for your time.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I leave it on and don't ordinarily have any problem with it. Whenever there
is a printing problem, however, one of the first troubleshooting techniques
is to disable it and see if that helps. Sometimes it is also necessary to
turn off print spooling in the printer Properties and print direct to the
printer, which is a major PITA but the only way to solve certain problems.

"Jazz" wrote in message
There is a school of thought out there suggesting that background printing

is
not such a good idea - can anyone give me more detailed info on what

exactly
this option does? Do any of the MVPs out there think it is better to have
this option selected or deselected. Is it more bother than it is worth?

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00034.htm -- indicates that in PPT at least, this
option should be deselected. Could it be the same for Word? please

advise.

Thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Exactly what the background printing option does: It causes the output of
the print command to be stored in a "spooler" file on disk. Once the entire
document (or selected part of it) has been sent to the spooler file, you get
back control of the program and can continue to edit. Meanwhile, a separate
program (part of Windows) takes care of sending the data from the spooler
file to the printer at whatever speed it can handle.

If background printing is turned off, then the program (Word, PPT, etc.) is
completely responsible for sending data to the printer, and you may have to
wait until it's finished before you can resume editing. Of course, this will
be more noticeable in a very large document than if you print only a few
pages.

This used to be a much bigger deal about 10 years ago, when the typical
printer was a 50 character-per-second dot matrix with no buffer, connected
to a parallel or serial port. Recent laser and inkjet printers are much
faster, have their own buffer memory, and are typically connected to a
high-speed USB port. That's why the page you quoted says "PowerPoint returns
control to you a little more quickly when Background Printing is turned
on" -- it used to be "a lot more quickly" but things have changed.

I have more quibble with the insinuation that "you'll avoid being bitten by
some of the bugs that live on it". A few printer drivers have bugs that show
up when they're spooled, but that isn't the spooler's fault. If you don't
have one of those drivers, there's no reason to avoid background printing.
There just isn't as much reason to use it as there used to be.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jazz wrote:
There is a school of thought out there suggesting that background
printing is not such a good idea - can anyone give me more detailed
info on what exactly this option does? Do any of the MVPs out there
think it is better to have this option selected or deselected. Is it
more bother than it is worth?

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00034.htm -- indicates that in PPT at least,
this option should be deselected. Could it be the same for Word?
please advise.

Thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jazz Jazz is offline

Thank you for taking the time for that explanation.

I'll tell you why I asked:

I work for a law firm where all printers are configured to use the driver HP
LaserJet 8100 Series PCL 5e. We have (for months) experienced each line of
text in a document "squishing" (technical term) into the first character's
space on each line as though each letter in that line were on top of one
another. This only happens to the said documents whenever the print command
has been issued. This doesn't happen each time to each document, and we are
unable to reproduce this action, though it has occurred too many times in too
many documents to be accidental or fluke.

Using Word 2003 SP1 on WinXP

Ever seen this before? I have been able to correct this sometimes by
turning off the background printing. Sometimes, restarting the print spooler
in windows will do the trick. But neither solution is consistent.

Jazz wrote:
There is a school of thought out there suggesting that background
printing is not such a good idea - can anyone give me more detailed
info on what exactly this option does? Do any of the MVPs out there
think it is better to have this option selected or deselected. Is it
more bother than it is worth?

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00034.htm -- indicates that in PPT at least,
this option should be deselected. Could it be the same for Word?
please advise.

Thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

There have been several reports of that problem. Probably the most detailed
thread is at
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4b82cfda714e95.
Turning off print spooling is cited as one possible solution, but it seems
to work for some people and not others. There are a lot of other possible
factors.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jazz wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Jazz wrote:
There is a school of thought out there suggesting that background
printing is not such a good idea - can anyone give me more detailed
info on what exactly this option does? Do any of the MVPs out there
think it is better to have this option selected or deselected. Is
it more bother than it is worth?

http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00034.htm -- indicates that in PPT at
least, this option should be deselected. Could it be the same for
Word? please advise.

Thanks for your time.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jazz Jazz is offline

Thank you again! I found a link on that posting
http://www.brianstevenson.com/blog/?p=136 which pretty much confirmed that
disableing the background printing has proven successful for others. I can't
tell you how much I appreciate your help!