Nadia

Default Change data source type

I know I can create a Word table and open it as a data source for a mail
merge. Is it possible in Word 2003 when you are creating a new list with
Mailmergeto change the data source type from access to good old original word
tables?

Doug Robbins

Use the data source for a Directory type mailmerge in the mailmerge main
document of which you insert the mergefields in the cells of a one row
table. When you execute that merge to a new document, you will get a table
containing all of the records. If you want to use that as a data source,
inserte a row at the top of the table and populate it with the names of the
mergefields.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Nadia" wrote in message
I know I can create a Word table and open it as a data source for a mail
merge. Is it possible in Word 2003 when you are creating a new list with
Mailmergeto change the data source type from access to good old original
word
tables?

Peter Jamieson

Although you cannot change the way the Mail Merge wizard works in this
respect, there is nothing to stop you creating a new Word document
containing a table and selecting that as the data source. If you create the
document as a Word template (and you will need a two-row table with your
default headings in the first row and blanks in the second row), then you
can create new documents based on it fairly easily (File|New) and save them
before proceeding.

Alternatively, you can drag the old Mail Merge Helper from
Tools|Customize|Commands|Category:All Commands to a toolbar, and use the Get
Data|Create Data Source option in there.

Peter Jamieson