Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patsy Patsy is offline

Default problem with defining styles: how to restart renumbering of Letter

Hi there,
I've created customized styles for a document and have a problem with the
restarting of numbering.

Currently my document looks like this

1. Heading_1
1.2. Heading_2
1.2. Heading_2
2. Heading_1
2.1. Heading_2
A. Heading_3
B. Heading_3
3. Heading_1
3.1 Heading_2
C. Heading_3

How can I define the style as such that instead of C. it restarts
"numbering" from A?
Now everytime when I insert the style I have to manually reset the numbering
by going into the bullet and numbering window and hit the restart numbering
button. There must be a way to already predefine it in the style, similarly
when using numbers? I'm using the outline numbered box.
Thanks for the help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue O'Donnell Sue O'Donnell is offline

Look he http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering/...gExplained.htm

There's a part that addresses numbering in styles. It may answer your
question.

"Patsy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patsy Patsy is offline

Default problem with defining styles: how to restart renumbering of Le

Hi Sue,
Thanks for the tip, I've looked at the site in multiple sections but no
mentioning of this issue.
It is possible to define a style and restart numbering if you use digits,
but for some reason the box that I would need to link, following the same
approach, is not available when I use letters.

BR
Patricia

"Patsy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sue O'Donnell Sue O'Donnell is offline

I just experimented with a set of styles that I have set up that number as
follows:

1.0
1.1
1.2
1.2.1
1.2.2

I managed to get the 1.2.1 to be "A" and the 1.2.2 to be "B" and for the
series that followed to start with "A" again - 1.3 was followed by A, etc.
Here's how I did it.

Format Styles (of course) - select Heading 3 (assuming that's what your
third level is called). Select Modify - Format - Numbering. That took me to
the "outline" tab. Select "customize" and then first change the number style
to be "A, B, C" if it isn't already (mine showed 1, 2, 3). Then change the
number format to be "A" (mine showed 1.1.1 and after I changed the number
style it showed 1.1.A, so I deleted the 1.1.part.) After I did this and went
back to my document, everything worked the way you want it to. Of course, if
your base styles are set up differently than mine, this might not work - mine
were set up as modifications of Heading 1, Heading 2 and Heading 3. Hope this
helps.

"Patsy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patsy Patsy is offline

Hi Sue,
For some reason it doesn't work. The letter is a level 4 heading for some
reason, it works when there is a level 2 in between e.g.,
1.2
1.2.1
1.3
1.3.1
Works

but if there are only level 3 headings in between it continues numbering
example:

1.2
1.2.1
1.3.1
Thanks for your help, for now I will just rightclick and manually restart
the numbering (at least that works).
Cheers

"Patsy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You need to link your styles to an outline-numbered list as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html and make
sure that each level is set to restart after the next-higher one (as they
all are by default).

news