Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
H.P.Hoeie, Norway

Default Headers are not updated by template

I create different templates for different tasks. One annoying thing about
this is that I don't manage to store complete headers in my template. The
header consists of a simple text wiht horizontal underlining.
When I connect the template to a new document,( remembering "updating
styles", deconnecting other global templates) I see no benefit of my efforts.
I have also tried typing the text directly in the template too. This
does'nt work either.
What I am to do now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne Troy

The "real" way to use a template is to create the document by hitting
File--New and choosing the template, not to simply apply the template,
which only brings styles, autotext, and the use of macros that might be
stored in the template.
Perhaps these tips might help you:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/t...osoft_word.htm
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"H.P.Hoeie, Norway" wrote in
message ...
I create different templates for different tasks. One annoying thing about
this is that I don't manage to store complete headers in my template. The
header consists of a simple text wiht horizontal underlining.
When I connect the template to a new document,( remembering "updating
styles", deconnecting other global templates) I see no benefit of my
efforts.
I have also tried typing the text directly in the template too. This
does'nt work either.
What I am to do now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

This is by design. Textual changes made to templates only change the
contents of new documents based on the template. So don't connect the
template to a new document; instead create the new document based on the
template. For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new
dialog, and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"H.P.Hoeie, Norway" wrote in
message ...
I create different templates for different tasks. One annoying thing about
this is that I don't manage to store complete headers in my template. The
header consists of a simple text wiht horizontal underlining.
When I connect the template to a new document,( remembering "updating
styles", deconnecting other global templates) I see no benefit of my
efforts.
I have also tried typing the text directly in the template too. This
does'nt work either.
What I am to do now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom

You can use AutoText to re-use blocks of text. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customization/AutoText.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"H.P.Hoeie, Norway" skrev i meddelandet
I create different templates for different tasks. One annoying thing

about
this is that I don't manage to store complete headers in my

template. The
header consists of a simple text wiht horizontal underlining.
When I connect the template to a new document,( remembering

"updating
styles", deconnecting other global templates) I see no benefit of my

efforts.
I have also tried typing the text directly in the template too.

This
does'nt work either.
What I am to do now?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
H.P.Hoeie, Norway

I agree - this is the proper way. I work on a large network daily, and the
official templates are stored in Word-manner and managed the way yuo suggest.
Templates of private character thus has to be treated the other way.

I just have to cope with the fact that my headers cannot be stored in the
template due to the way I work with templates?

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Templates of private character thus has to be treated the other way.

I just have to cope with the fact that my headers cannot be stored in the
template due to the way I work with templates?

Nope. There are two places to store templates. The first is the user
templates folder. This is where normal.dot is stored and this folder should
_not_ be shared. You can put your own templates in this folder and they will
be available through File New. The second is the workgroup templates
folder which would contain your official templates. For more on the

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
H.P.Hoeie, Norway

I know these two places, and my templates work perfectly well following
advice from this community. Still I have several reasons for not storing my
templates this way, like putting them on my flash drive, working on other
peoples systems etc.

Generally this works well - updating styles.

But can I take it that there is a constraint in MS Word (My version is 2003
on a WinXP-system) on storing templates? If I choose to store templates
elsewhere, I just have to take the consequences?

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

Word is designed to easily use templates stored in the two locations
mentioned. I have mine stored in many places (but not used from removable
media). They work fine from there, too. I just can't access them using File
New if they are stored somewhere else. I can still create a new document

based on a template stored elsewhere. I just have to find it in Windows and
double-click on the icon. Attaching a template to an existing document will
not bring in text or formatting (other than style-based formatting) from the
template. Never would.
--

"Anne Troy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
H.P.Hoeie, Norway

Thank You very much. Even if this states that there is such a constraint in
MS Word, it is useful to have had this discussion. I have made credit to
your commitment by pressing the "Yes"-button. Until next time. HPH