Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Ldyflyr

Default Char Style

I have a document that seems to have a Char style. I did not create it and I
cannot change it.

For some reason it also makes the document huge.

How do I get rid of this style and get the text reformatting to the style of
my choosing?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGR5Zmx5cg==?=,

I have a document that seems to have a Char style. I did not create it and I
cannot change it.

For some reason it also makes the document huge.

How do I get rid of this style and get the text reformatting to the style of
my choosing?

Starting in Word 2002, Word supports (and creates) "linked styles". These are
paragraph + character level styles that are linked together: when you change
the definition of one, the other changes. The purpose behind it is so that you
can format text within a paragraph to look the same as a paragraph style.

The problem is that Word creates these "at the drop of a hat". When you select
text without selecting a paragarph mark, then apply a paragraph style, Word
automatically creates the "Char" style. So the way to avoid it is to either
select no text within a paragraph, or be sure to select at least two
paragraphs.

Once you've got this, it's a pain to get rid of, as trying to delete it will
also delete the paragraph style to which it's linked. You'll find a macro on my
website (in the Tips section) you can use to link the character style to
another (otherwise unused) style, so that both can then be deleted.

Whether this will bring the document size back down is another question,
entirely.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org