Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

Default IncludeText Problem

Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge
is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with "Open
document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all
the attachments would be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

hi Tom,

You could try adding the \! switch. This prevents the INCLUDETEXT field updating cross-references imported from the source document,
which may be all you need.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a
message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments would be
opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

The documents I am including have MERGEFIELDs in them also. Will the
MERGEFIELDs be updated in I use the switch?

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with
"Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I
thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,

Provided you put in switch in the INCLUDETEXT field and not the MERGEIELD, I would expect so.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box with
"Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I
thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

I tried putting the \! switch in one of the INCLUDETEXT fields and I still
got the prompt to open a read-only copy and I also had an "Error! Bookmark
not defined" error for every merge field in the included document.

At this point, I don't guess there's anything to do to prevent the
'read-only' prompt.

Thanks,
Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box
with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only
so I thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,

Can you post your field coding? You'll need to copy the text out of the fields and type the braces into your newsreader.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail
merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message box
with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only
so I thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only too. But
apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like
DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

Here's an example of a merge field to include a document:

{ INCLUDETEXT "Agreement.doc" }

Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a
mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a message
box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened
read-only so I thougth all the attachments would be opened read-only
too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application,
like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,,

Where's the MERGEFIELD? If it's not used to tell the INCLUDETEXT field which document to import, then the solution should be as
simple as { INCLUDETEXT "Agreement.doc" \!}

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open
a message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments would
be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

The INCLUDETEXT actually has the UNC path to the file rather than just a
file name and in some cases it does contain a MERGEFIELD that defines the
path. However, the test I ran with the \l switch was the simplest of cases,
where the document's path was completely specified, and it didn't update any
of the MERGEFIELDs in the inluded document.

Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a
mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a
message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is
opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments would be opened
read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application,
like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Tom,

Do you mean to say you've got a mailmerge document with MERGEFIELDs embedded in INCLUDETEXT fields like:
'{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc"}'
where the DocPath is something like
'../Server/MainPath/LocalPath/'
and the document thus imported contains yet more mergefields?

I don't believe that will work.What I think you'll need to do is to go into the source document that is imported via your
INCLUDETEXT field and bookmark the material either side of its MERGEFIELDs (multiple bookmarks will be needed), then code your
mailmerge document like:
'{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc" BkMrk1}' and '{INCLUDETEXT "{MERGEFIELD DocPath"}Agreement.doc" BkMrk2}'
where BkMrk1 and BkMrk2 are your bookmark names, then insert the MERGEFIELD you presently have in your INCLUDETEXT source document
between the new pair of MERGEFIELDs in your mailmerge document.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to
open a message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments
would be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

micropod,

I do have INCLUDETEXT statements with MERGEFIELDs to specify the document
path, for example:

{INCLUDETEXT "{ MERGEFIELD DocumentPath }Agreement.doc" } where DocumentPath
is something like:
\\ServerName\ShareName\DirectoryName\.

I have been sending mail merge documents containing these types of fields
for over 2 years by both eMail and fax. One of my main documents attaches
10 other documents all with mail merge fields. These documents are sent by
an automated process running on a server.

The only problems I've encountered are when Word pops a message box
expecting a button to be clicked which mainly happens when a user has one of
the included documents open.

Tom

"Tom Bean" wrote in message
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a
mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to open a
message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is
opened read-only so I thougth all the attachments would be opened
read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application,
like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Tom,

I take it from your response the INCLUDETEXT document doesn't have yet more mergefields.

Also, this is the first mention you've made of users having the source document open. That changes everything. It's hardly
surprising Word gives you a prompt in such cases, since it's impossible for Word to know what the correct response is. Adding the \!
switch thus:
{INCLUDETEXT "{ MERGEFIELD DocumentPath }Agreement.doc" \!}
(not the \1 switch you mentioned earlier) *might* overcome the issue you're having with this, but you really should consider the
wisdom of executing the mailmerge when the INCLUDETEXT document is open - and possibly being edited. Imagine, for a moment, what
would happen if the user updates & saves the document while your mailmerge is running.

Is there anything else you haven't told me that might be relevant?

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Tom Bean" wrote in message ...
Occasionaly, a user has an included document open in Word while a mail merge is running. This causes the mail merge to
open a message box with "Open document read-only?" The main document is opened read-only so I thougth all the
attachments would be opened read-only too. But apparently not.

Is there any setting for INCLUDETEXT or for the Word application, like DisplayAlerts, to prevent this message box?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Bean Tom Bean is offline

macropod,

I appologize for not getting back to you sooner.

My INCLUDETEXT documents do have MERGEFIELDs. I must have misstated my
problem. It's not the main (source) document users open, the problem occurs
when they open the included documents. And, the users don't have change
permission because the directories and files are read-only for normal users,
however, Word doesn't seem to realize the user with the document open can't
save it because it always opens for edit.

We solved the problem by duplicating the directory containing the documents
and tightening permissions so users cannot access the documents used by mail
merge. This may not be the best way but at least the Word doesn't get hung
because a user has one of the documents open.

Tom

IncludeText sonia New Users 5 September 10th 07 09:46 AM
using INCLUDETEXT? BrendaLL Microsoft Word Help 2 March 9th 06 06:42 AM
Word 2002 - problem wih linked items in INCLUDETEXT Michael Formatting Long Documents 13 May 30th 05 02:45 PM
INCLUDETEXT problem Michael Microsoft Word Help 1 April 25th 05 07:50 PM
IncludeText Janna Tables 0 February 19th 05 03:35 PM