Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Font Change/Mail Merge/Labesl

When I am doing a mail merge for labels and get to the "merge field", I would
like to be able to put the "last name" in bold. I can highlight this field
and make it bold, but it does not appear bold in the "preview". Any advise?
--
Patrick

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Patrick Patrick is offline

I hate to be so dense, but I cannot even find "tools" in Word 07, to be able
to customize it! And if I could and then click "view field codes", I am not
sure what to do then. With all due respect, your webpage is just way over my
head.
--
Patrick

Patrick wrote:
When I am doing a mail merge for labels and get to the "merge field",
I would like to be able to put the "last name" in bold. I can
highlight this field and make it bold, but it does not appear bold in
the "preview". Any advise?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In Word, click Alt-F9. Instead of seeing something like last_name or
your data, you should see something like

{ MERGEFIELD "last_name" }

or maybe

{ MERGEFIELD "last_name" \*Mergeformat }

The curly braces are special "field code braces - you can't type them on the
keyboard. But everything else is ordinary text. What you need to end up with
is

{ MERGEFIELD "last_name" \*Charformat }

and to ensure that the " M" immediately after that opening curly brace has
the format you want, i.e. bold in this case.

Then Alt-F9 again to make those field codes turn back into format or
your data.

If you can't see the field codes easily because they are in a table cell,
it's sometimes helpful to cut-and-paste the field codes into another
document, edit them there, then paste them back.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news

Patrick wrote:
When I am doing a mail merge for labels and get to the "merge field",
I would like to be able to put the "last name" in bold. I can
highlight this field and make it bold, but it does not appear bold in
the "preview". Any advise?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Patrick Patrick is offline

Excellent, Peter. I would have never figured that out. I was able to get
"a" surrounded by the the field code braces onto my toolbar. So I just
selected the last name and clicked the little "a" which changes the last name
prefaced by MERGEFIELD and then R click and change the formating, then
clicking the little "a" off. Thanks again.
--
Patrick

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

[...]

news