Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2003 SQL Express Datasource

Hi All

I'm trying to connect to an SQL2005Express Table as the source for a Word
merge

Ulimately I want to automate this via COM but for now am just trying it as a
user

I can get the connection setup fine and choose the table I want however I
get the following error when I try and use it

"Record 1 contained too few dataflields"

Looking on the MS KB this seems to be a known problem and you need to update
to the latest office service pack (SP3) which I have done but the problem is
still there

The Word about dialog shows as version "11.8169.8172.SP3"

This is just a test but the structure of the table I am conecting to is

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

CREATE TABLE [words].[Person](

[PK_Person] [int] NOT NULL,

[Title] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Title] DEFAULT (''),

[Forename] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Forename] DEFAULT
(''),

[Surname] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Surname] DEFAULT
(''),

[Salutation] [varchar](50) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Salutation]
DEFAULT (''),

[Badge_Name] [varchar](35) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Badge_Name]
DEFAULT (''),

[Sort_Code] [varchar](40) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Sort_Code] DEFAULT
(''),

[External_ID] [varchar](20) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_External_ID]
DEFAULT (''),

[Status] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF__Person__Status__278EDA44]
DEFAULT ((0)),

[Perm_Bidder_No] [varchar](10) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT
[DF_Person_Perm_Bidder_No] DEFAULT (''),

[Update_Timestamp] [timestamp] NOT NULL,

[Update_User] [tinyint] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Update_User] DEFAULT
((0)),

[Invalid] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Invalid] DEFAULT ((0)),

[Cheque_Limit] [decimal](10, 2) NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_Cheque_Limit]
DEFAULT ((0.00)),

[No_Card] [bit] NOT NULL CONSTRAINT [DF_Person_No_Card] DEFAULT ((0)),

CONSTRAINT [PK_Person] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF,
ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY],

CONSTRAINT [UQ_Person_PK_Person] UNIQUE NONCLUSTERED

(

[PK_Person] ASC

)WITH (PAD_INDEX = OFF, STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF,
ALLOW_ROW_LOCKS = ON, ALLOW_PAGE_LOCKS = ON) ON [PRIMARY]

) ON [PRIMARY]

"Andrew Kennard" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm trying to connect to an SQL2005Express Table as the source for a Word
merge

Ulimately I want to automate this via COM but for now am just trying it as
a user

I can get the connection setup fine and choose the table I want however I
get the following error when I try and use it

"Record 1 contained too few dataflields"

Looking on the MS KB this seems to be a known problem and you need to
update to the latest office service pack (SP3) which I have done but the
problem is still there

The Word about dialog shows as version "11.8169.8172.SP3"

This is just a test but the structure of the table I am conecting to is

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

I've selected this table INTO a new table and Word seems to be able to
connect to that one OK ?

All of the columns are there so I assume it must be something to do with the
indexs or other 'options' on this table ??

Thanks

Andrew

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

OK having go it working as a 'user' I'm now trying VIA com and not having
much luck !

The best i've got so far is no error opening the data source but it only
thinks it has two fields M_ and M_1 which is not correct

My command in the Visual Dataflex language I am using is

Send ComOpenDataSource of oMailMerge
((psHome(phoWorkspace(ghoApplication)))+"Programs\ SQLServerConnection.odc")
OLEwdOpenFormatAuto False True True False Nothing Nothing False Nothing
Nothing "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=True;Initial Catalog=System3000;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use Procedure
for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with col" "SELECT * FROM
AGKTemp11" Nothing Nothing OLEwdMergeSubTypeOther

I made this up from a recorded macro from Word

The meat of the odc file is

meta http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/x-ms-odc; charset=utf-8"
meta name=ProgId content=ODC.Table
meta name=SourceType content=OLEDB
meta name=Catalog content=System3000
meta name=Schema content=dbo
meta name=Table content=AGKTemp11
xml id=docprops/xmlxml id=msodcodc:OfficeDataConnection
xmlnsdc="urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficedc"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40"
odc:Connection odc:Type="OLEDB"
odc:ConnectionStringProvider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrat ed
Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use
Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when
possible=False;Initial Catalog=System3000/odc:ConnectionString
odc:CommandTypeTable/odc:CommandType
odc:CommandText"System3000"."dbo& quot;."AGKTemp11"/odc:CommandText
/odc:Connection
/odc:OfficeDataConnection
/xml

Any clues would be most appreciated

Thanks

Andrew

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Off the top of my head I suggest you try modifying the OpenDataSource call
so that
a. the query is

"SELECT A.* FROM [System3000].[dbo].[AGKTemp11] A"

b. If that isn't enough, try leaving the connection parameter out of the
OpenDataSource call, if you can (setting it to Nothing or "" may not work
either, though)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Thanks Peter I'll try that

I've already just tried leaving out the Connection and SQL and I've managed
to get it to work but would prefere to connection string option as it is
more flexible

What are the significance of the A's in your example ? I'm not an SQL guru !

Thanks

Andrew

"Peter Jamieson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

I've TRied a couple of things and am now getting this attached error alot.

One thing I have noticed is that the connection string created by the Word
macro is longer than 255 and trucanted

I've also tried using a connection string found via google that you had help
someone else with an odc less connection .... which is what I am trying to
achieve

If it's not posible I supose I could write code to edit the odc file on the
fly but this does seem wrong !

Thanks

Andrew

!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The "A" is a "table alias". As far as I can tell, standard SQL should not
require you to use an alias in this case but Word seems to insist on it.

FWIW, table aliases have various uses, e.g. shortening/clarifying your code,
but more importantly you have to use table aliases when you use more complex
queries that reference the same table in more than one "role"

e.g. if you have an employee table with

EmployeeID, ManagerID, EmployeeName

and each manager is also listed in the table, to get a list of

Employee ID, Employee name, Manager ID, Manager name

you might use something like

SELECT E.EmployeeID, E.EmployeeName, E.ManagerID, M.EmployeeName
FROM Employee E INNER JOIN Employee M on M.EmployeeID = E.ManagerID

There are also "columne aliases" that let you rename a column or an
expression, e.g. something like

SELECT E.EmployeeID, E.EmployeeName AS [Employee's name], E.ManagerID,
M.EmployeeName AS [Manager's name]
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Ah! The single letter was just a bit too consice for me !

The alias seems to hjave done the trick and the odc file I am using is
empty. I'll do some more tests but we seem to be cooking with gas at the
moment !

One other question .... I've not looked into it yet but my "Form Letters1"
window displays the result of the merge but it does not have the usual
toolbars and menus at the top

Is this normal when automating mailmerge via COM and you have to "switch
them on" ?

Thanks VERY much for all of your help I would have never cracked this on my
own !

I'm surprised there is not a Microsoft KB article on how to do it (or maybe
I havn't found it) but it is crying out for one as it seem like the logical
thing someone would want to do with their new "free" database !!

PS wierd one about the connection string Word creates in the marcro record
is truncated?

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

One thing I have noticed is that the connection string created by the Word
macro is longer than 255 and trucanted

Yes. If you use the recorder to create your OpenDataSource this can lead to
problems.

Typically you can reduce these strings, e.g. in yours (as below) you
probably do not need
Use Procedure for Prepare, Auto Translate, Packet Size, Use Encryption for
Data, Tag with... if you do not need to change the defaults, and you don't
really need Workstation ID either.

But in fact when Word opens the data source, it sends the connection string
to the driver/provider, which modifies it anyway, and Word actually ends up
storing the modified version which tends to contain all the default values.
In some versions of Word, this gets truncated, but it doesn't usually appear
to cause any damage unless it truncates something "important" like the "Data
Source" name.

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=True;Initial Catalog=System3000;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;Use
Procedure
for Prepare=1;Auto Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Workstation
ID=AGKBIGDELL;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with col

I've also tried using a connection string found via google that you had
help someone else with an odc less connection .... which is what I am
trying to achieve

You can't avoid having either a DSN (ODBC connections), .odc or a .udl for a
Word mailmerge data source to a server-style DBMS.

But the .odc can be completely empty if you put all the connection and query
info. in the OpenDataSource

At the moment I can't spot what is going wrong with your connection info.
but if necessary I will try to pick this up again later tomorrow (UK time)
if I can.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

=
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Is this normal when automating mailmerge via COM and you have to "switch
them on" ?

You have to Activate the App and/or ddocument.

"Ed" mentioned a few months ago that they had been through this loop and he
thought the following sequence had workd for them:

Set the app visible.
Activate the app.
Perform the merge (and maybe do other stuff).
Activate the app.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I'm surprised there is not a Microsoft KB article on how to do it (or
maybe I havn't found it) but it is crying out for one as it seem like the
logical thing someone would want to do with their new "free" database !!

I keep meaning to an article myself.

PS wierd one about the connection string Word creates in the marcro record
is truncated?

It's because of some old limitation on string length. The problem seems to
have been at least partially fixed in recent versions, but it actually
creates havoc when people have OLE DB file type data sources such with long
path names. IME the length problems do not affect server type connections so
much because the amount of info needed to locate the database is typically
quite small and everything else can usually go in the query.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Morning Peter !

I'm just looking back at this now and the stranbge thing is the following
code when used with a CSV file data source works fine in terms of the
toolbars displaying but when I change it to the sql source they are not
there ?

I shal have a play movid around the active etc and let you know

Cheers

Andrew

Send ComOpenDataSource of oMailMerge
C_WordOneOffDataFileName OLEwdOpenFormatText False True False Nothing
Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing Nothing
Nothing

// Send ComOpenDataSource of oMailMerge ;
//
((psHome(phoWorkspace(ghoApplication)))+"Programs\ BlankSQLServerConnection.odc")
;
// OLEwdOpenFormatAuto ;
// False True True False Nothing Nothing False Nothing
Nothing ;
// "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist
Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=System3000;Data Source=AGKBIGDELL;" ;
// "SELECT A.* FROM [System3000].[dbo].[AGKTemp9] A" Nothing
Nothing OLEwdMergeSubTypeOther

Set ComDestination of oMailMerge to eMergeType
// set output destinatination to NewDoc or Printer
Send ComExecute of oMailMerge True
// actually perform the merge
Get ComActiveDocument of oWordApplication to vDocument
// BEFORE doing ANYTHING else get the Doument object for the NEW document
(if not printed)
Send ComClose of oDocument False Nothing Nothing
// close the LAYOUT document
If (eMergeType=OLEwdSendToNewDocument) Begin
Set ComVisible of oWordApplication to 1
// make sure word is visible (can run in background)
Send ComActivate to oWordApplication
// make sure word is active
Set pvComObject of oDocument to vDocument
// set VDF document obj to the NEW merged document
Get ComName of oDocument to sDocName
// get the "name" of this document
Send ActivateWordDoc to oWordApplication sDocName
// make it the active window in word incase it has other documents open
End

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Andrew Kennard[_2_] Andrew Kennard[_2_] is offline

Peter

Looks like the tick is to

Set ComVisible of oWordApplication to 1
Send ComActivate to oWordApplication

Before starting the merge process.

I've also added

Move (FindWindow("","")) to hWnd
Move (UpdateWindow(hWnd)) to iVoid

Straight after the Activate to get it to paint the template document before
starting

Unfortuneatley I cant seem to force it to paint the toolbars of the output
window until it has finshed the merge process which means you have a part
drawn window with a hole in it where the menu and toolbars should be and the
merge counter at the bottom zooming through the first part of the merge
process which looks a bit 'naff' if there is a large number of documents to
merge.

Thanks again for your thoughts

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Activating the /Document/ as well as the App could also be worth trying.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

It certainly makes you wonder. There could I suppose be a timing issue, or
something to do with the fact that Word may end up openig the .csv using a
converter rather than an OLE DB provider.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk