Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
slkdivorcelaw slkdivorcelaw is offline

Default completing a form with fields

When completing a form, how do I advance through all the fields by using the
tab key, as opposed to using the mouse. This was simple with word 2003 --
just lock the document, fill in the field, press the tab key to get to the
next field. I can't seem to make it work in word 2007 without using my
mouse.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Have you locked the form?
Exactly the same form tools are available in 2007 as 2003, with the addition
of some new ones which may or may not help your purpose.

slkdivorcelaw wrote:
When completing a form, how do I advance through all the fields by
using the tab key, as opposed to using the mouse. This was simple
with word 2003 -- just lock the document, fill in the field, press
the tab key to get to the next field. I can't seem to make it work
in word 2007 without using my mouse.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
slkdivorcelaw slkdivorcelaw is offline

I believe that in fact I did lock the form. when I start typing the
information i need into the form field then press the tab key it just makes
the length of the answer block longer and does not put me into the next
field. If you have a little patience with me, could you please indicate how
I lock the form. I just searched the icon keys and found the lock. put it
on my quick access bar and proceeded to use it like i do with word 2003.
Thank you for your response. It would make a huge difference in my work if i
could get this to work well.

slkdivorcelaw wrote:
When completing a form, how do I advance through all the fields by
using the tab key, as opposed to using the mouse. This was simple
with word 2003 -- just lock the document, fill in the field, press
the tab key to get to the next field. I can't seem to make it work
in word 2007 without using my mouse.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

To make the form work exactly like a Word 2003 form, and be compatible with
Word 2003, you must use the legacy form fields from the developer toolbar.
It appears you are using the new design controls which behave in the manner
you have described.

If you still have access to Word 2003, you can create a forms toolbar add-in
that will work with 2007 - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Fellow MVP Greg Maxey is currently at a late stage of development of a
controls add-in which he will no doubt put on his web site before tool long.
It will not help with the immediate problem, but it should make using the
new controls a tad simpler. http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tips.htm