Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Terry Lemons Terry Lemons is offline

Default Conditional mail merge from Contacts

Hi

I know how to do a mail merge between contacts in Outlook 2003 and Word
2003. But I need to do some programming/substitution for our holiday card
labels.

If an Outlook field (that I need to choose) contains the word 'Family', then
I want to print "The [Lastname] Family" for this contact, instead of printing
"[Firstname Lastname]". Can I do this kind of conditional logic, from a list
of contacts, in Word Mail Merge? If so, where should I look for
samples/ideas?

Thanks!
tl
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You could use the categories field or one of the four user fields, then
provided you start the merge from Outlook
http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm you could use a conditional
field

{IF {Mergefield User_Field_1} = "Family" "The {LastName} Family" "{First
Name} {LastName}"
or
{IF {Mergefield Categories} = "Family" "The {LastName} Family" "{First Name}
{LastName}"

Terry Lemons wrote:
Hi

I know how to do a mail merge between contacts in Outlook 2003 and
Word 2003. But I need to do some programming/substitution for our
holiday card labels.

If an Outlook field (that I need to choose) contains the word
'Family', then I want to print "The [Lastname] Family" for this
contact, instead of printing "[Firstname Lastname]". Can I do this
kind of conditional logic, from a list of contacts, in Word Mail
Merge? If so, where should I look for samples/ideas?

Thanks!
tl

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Terry Lemons[_2_] Terry Lemons[_2_] is offline

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Thanks to your help, it's now
working just as I needed.

Thanks
tl