Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ross Moody Ross Moody is offline

Default Template question

I have a large number of archived letters that I wrote with the aid of a
word template. Each time I open them for reference, word automatically
updates the archived letter to the current date. I prefer to leave the
original date unchanged. How can I do this but not destroy the templates
attributes for newly developed letters? Thanks. Ross

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

In the template, change the DATE field to CREATEDATE. Do the same in the
existing letters. Press Alt+F9 to view the field code, type CREATE in front
of DATE, Alt+F9 to toggle back, and F9 to update.

http://word.mvps.org

"Ross Moody" wrote in message
I have a large number of archived letters that I wrote with the aid of a
word template. Each time I open them for reference, word automatically
updates the archived letter to the current date. I prefer to leave the
original date unchanged. How can I do this but not destroy the templates
attributes for newly developed letters? Thanks. Ross

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Replace the inserted DATE field with a CREATEDATE field: Open each of the
documents. Press Alt+F9 to show field codes. Just type in CREATEDATE instead
of DATE. Press F9. Press Alt+F9 again to hide field codes.

Also, make sure to change the field in the template (for future documents).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ross Moody" wrote in message
I have a large number of archived letters that I wrote with the aid of a
word template. Each time I open them for reference, word automatically
updates the archived letter to the current date. I prefer to leave the
original date unchanged. How can I do this but not destroy the templates
attributes for newly developed letters? Thanks. Ross

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You are welcome. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ross Moody" wrote in message
I have a large number of archived letters that I wrote with the aid of a
word template. Each time I open them for reference, word automatically
updates the archived letter to the current date. I prefer to leave the
original date unchanged. How can I do this but not destroy the templates
attributes for newly developed letters? Thanks. Ross

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You can fix all your existing documents in a folder by running the following
macro, which will replace DATE field with CREATEDATE fields
Change the switch in the line sSwitch = " \@ ""d MMMM yyyy""" to your local
requirement. This switch is required as Createdate fields may not display
the same format as date fields. Any existing switches are retained.

Sub BatchFixDates()
Dim strFile As String
Dim strPath As String
Dim sSwitch As String
Dim strDoc As Document
Dim iFld As Integer
Dim fDialog As FileDialog
sSwitch = " \@ ""d MMMM yyyy"""
Set fDialog = Application.FileDialog(msoFileDialogFolderPicker)
With fDialog
.title = "Select folder and click OK"
.AllowMultiSelect = False
.InitialView = msoFileDialogViewList
If .Show -1 Then
MsgBox "Cancelled By User", , "List Folder Contents"
Exit Sub
End If
strPath = fDialog.SelectedItems.Item(1)
If Right(strPath, 1) "\" Then strPath = strPath + "\"
End With
If Documents.Count 0 Then
Documents.Close SaveChanges:=wdPromptToSaveChanges
End If
strFile = Dir$(strPath & "*.do?")
While strFile ""
Set strDoc = Documents.Open(strPath & strFile)
For iFld = ActiveDocument.Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Fields(iFld)
Select Case .Type
Case Is = wdFieldDate
.Code.Text = Replace(UCase(.Code.Text), _
"DATE", "CREATEDATE")
If InStr(1, .Code, "\@") = 0 Then
.Code.Text = .Code.Text & sSwitch
End If
.Update
Case Else
End Select
End With
Next iFld
strDoc.Close SaveChanges:=wdSaveChanges
strFile = Dir$()
Wend
End Sub

"Ross Moody" wrote in message
I have a large number of archived letters that I wrote with the aid
of a word template. Each time I open them for reference, word
automatically updates the archived letter to the current date. I
prefer to leave the original date unchanged. How can I do this but
not destroy the templates attributes for newly developed letters?
Thanks. Ross

Template question Paul S Microsoft Word Help 1 June 19th 09 06:54 PM
Template question desgnr New Users 6 March 19th 08 02:13 PM
question about template nurselinda Tables 0 December 29th 07 10:26 PM
Template Question Dee Microsoft Word Help 3 September 15th 05 03:01 AM
Template Question backmanb Microsoft Word Help 5 March 10th 05 08:56 PM