Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Outline Numbering not Resetting

For some reason on my system (Word 2007), when I try to do outline
numbering for my headings, the numbers do not reset with each group. I
get

I. ------
A. -------
1. ------
a. ------
II. ------
B. ------
2. ------
b. -------

rather than outlined numbered

I. -----
A. -----
1. -----
a. -------
II.
A.
1.
a.

How can I get this corrected?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

wrote in message
For some reason on my system (Word 2007), when I try to do outline
numbering for my headings, the numbers do not reset with each group. I
get

I. ------
A. -------
1. ------
a. ------
II. ------
B. ------
2. ------
b. -------

rather than outlined numbered

I. -----
A. -----
1. -----
a. -------
II.
A.
1.
a.

How can I get this corrected?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

On Nov 26, 12:18*am, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
See the following page of fellow MVP Shauna Kelly's website:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

--
Hope this helps,

Unfortunately, those instructions are for pre-2007 versions of Word
where I never had a problem.. For example, the instuctions here say to
use the "outline numbered tab" (the logical correct). However, in
Word 2007 this tab is gone.

Presumably someone thought that the outline numbered tab is redundant.
Why would you want heading NOT to be outline numbered. However, I am
getting the non-outline numbered behavior.

I have the same problem no matter what template I try using. I
download a resume template from the MS web site, change the headings
to be numbered, and I get the same result.

If I try to manually restart the numbering, Word reformats the
paragraph and ignores the style. I reapply the style and the number
goes back the way it was.

In searching for the answer in the Internet, I was shocked at the
number of web sites the suggest doing heading numbering using list
formatting rather than heading styles.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The principles however are just the same. In Word 2007/2010, with the
selection in a heading 1 style, left click on the Multilevel List icon in
the paragraph section of the Home tab and in the bottom of the dialog that
appears, click on Define New Multilevel list item and you will then be taken
to the dialog that is the equivalent of the Customize Outline Numbered List
dialog referred to on that web page.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DeanH DeanH is offline

This article is still relevent in that it indicates the correct procedure to
accomplish working outline numbering, even if the naming/look of the dialogs
are different.
To help you with your initial problem, the usual problem is that the
"linking" of the levels is done incorrectly.
Open the Modify for your Heading 1 style, go to the Outline Numbering
Customise dialog. Edit the settings you require for this level.
Now, the important bit, while remaining in the Heading 1 customise dialog,
click on the "2" in the Level bar, now edit this for what you want your
Heading 2 to do, i.e. link back to Heading 1, tabulation, Number style, font,
etc. Do all the remaining levels that you require from within the level 1
dialog.
Remember: Link level to style: this is linked to itself, is if in Level 2
link to Heading 2.
Restart numbering after: check this for Level 2 and below, linking to the
previous level, i.e. for Level 2 link to Level 1.

As to your comment that many web-hits suggesting using NumLists instead of
Heading styles, lets hope that many people don't follow that advice for
Outline Numbering. This is usually because they don't edit the Levels from
within the Level 1 customise dialog.

Hope this helps to reset your numbering.
DeanH

wrote:
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Note that in Word 2007 you can no longer access the numbering options via
the Modify Style dialog box for a paragraph style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Nov 26, 3:43*am, DeanH wrote:
To help you with your initial problem, the usual problem is that the
"linking" of the levels is done incorrectly.
Open the Modify for your Heading 1 style, go to the Outline Numbering
Customise dialog. Edit the settings you require for this level.
Now, the important bit, while remaining in the Heading 1 customise dialog,
click on the "2" in the Level bar, now edit this for what you want your
Heading 2 to do, i.e. link back to Heading 1, tabulation, Number style, font,
etc. Do all the remaining levels that you require from within the level 1
dialog.

Thanks, folks. Appear to be the key part missing.

As to your comment that many web-hits suggesting using NumLists instead of
Heading styles, lets hope that many people don't follow that advice for
Outline Numbering. This is usually because they don't edit the Levels from
within the Level 1 customise dialog.

Styles? What are styles? :-)

I deal with documents where the people use TAB to create paragraph
indents.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See Doug's reply for the correct approach in Word 2007.

Of course, if you have been using a *list style*, you can use the Modify
Style dialog box (for the list style).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP