Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Space Before a Paragraph at the Start of a page

Is there any way to set up word such that it will not add space before
a paragraph at the top of a page?

I would like a heading to have space above to separate it from the
text.

However, this space is unnecessary when the heading occurs at the
start of a page and looks funny not starting at the top of the page.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

On Nov 28, 1:34*am, "
wrote:
Is there any way to set up word such that it will not add space before
a paragraph at the top of a page?

I would like a heading to have space above to separate it from the
text.

However, this space is unnecessary when the heading occurs at the
start of a page and looks funny not starting at the top of the page.

I should clarify.....how do you do this on the FIRST page. Word does
it for subsequent pages but not, apparently, the first.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Tools, Options, Compatibility tab (or Word Options, Advanced, Compatibility)
and select the required Suppress Space options. This will suppress the extra
space following page breaks but not following section breaks, so the space
at the top of the first page will not be suppressed.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
Is there any way to set up word such that it will not add space before
a paragraph at the top of a page?

I would like a heading to have space above to separate it from the
text.

However, this space is unnecessary when the heading occurs at the
start of a page and looks funny not starting at the top of the page.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Format the style that you are using for the text paragraphs so that it has a
space after it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

wrote in message
On Nov 28, 1:34 am, "
wrote:
Is there any way to set up word such that it will not add space before
a paragraph at the top of a page?

I would like a heading to have space above to separate it from the
text.

However, this space is unnecessary when the heading occurs at the
start of a page and looks funny not starting at the top of the page.

I should clarify.....how do you do this on the FIRST page. Word does
it for subsequent pages but not, apparently, the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

If a heading level always starts a new page, you can use page break before
in the style setting. If not (& for my jobs they usually do not), I don't
think there's a way to do it automatically in Word. I just manually adjust
the first heading.

Pam

wrote:
On Nov 28, 1:34Â*am, "
wrote:
Is there any way to set up word such that it will not add space before
a paragraph at the top of a page?

[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
However, this space is unnecessary when the heading occurs at the
start of a page and looks funny not starting at the top of the page.

I should clarify.....how do you do this on the FIRST page. Word does
it for subsequent pages but not, apparently, the first.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I do the same, but often in long documents I *want* a long drop before the
first heading (in a chapter/section). In shorter documents, my first Heading
1 is rarely the first paragraph; there's usually a Title (and often a
Subtitle) preceding, and I have that style formatted to take the Space
Before of the heading into account.

http://word.mvps.org

"Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote in message
If a heading level always starts a new page, you can use page break before
in the style setting. If not (& for my jobs they usually do not), I don't
think there's a way to do it automatically in Word. I just manually
adjust
the first heading.

Pam